Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2014, 02:50 AM   #1

Year: 1990
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: Bussette
Engine: chepy350
Rated Cap: 1
my story

Hello skoolies,
I joined this forum to learn, ask questions, and make new friends! For that feeling of belonging to a niche community. Those of you who are also full timers know the loneliness, frustration, but mostly the exhilaration and freedom of living in a school bus. A member here described the sound of rain hitting the roof and how it made her feel. That post stuck with me and it is a feeling that I cherish now. I want to thank all the members here for their stories and input. I have learned a lot from "y'all" and without your knowledge I would not be living free as I am now...rent free anyway!
I am currently parked at about 10k ft altitude on national forest land, in Colorado, near a major ski resort, my passion!! The weather outside is 20° and snowing. A few days ago it was 6°! I have a 3 tile home depot propane heater that keeps my bus around 55 - 60 on low. On hi its like a sauna and I crack a cold beer! I have a few days worth of low amp 120 and im lucky to have a hot shower and bathroom at work, very close. The bus runs great however it has no heat and the tires are smoother than a babies ass. It will have to stay here for now, as the road is steep, icey, and covered with 3ft of unplowed snow.
My town is very seasonal. This year the housing is very limited and very overpriced due to the shortage of availability and also because of some major events coming thru. If you have a dog, like me, forget it. Or dip into your trust fund and prepare to drop a grand or more per month, plus utilities, for a small room. I was looking for housing all summer, living out of my car, becoming more and more depressed and frustrated. I found this site randomly and for many weeks researched all the what ifs and daily issues I deal with. The answers were all right here! Everything else was down the street at ace hardware. This way of life is certainly challenging, but its more enjoyable than anywhere ive ever lived and I can crank her up and take w my lil room with me!
Lastly, but by far the most pleasant and unexpected surprise for me was the amount of support I recieved from the local community. The nearest home is a few miles down the road but my spot is regularly traveled by hikers, bikers, and now skiiers, and dogs! I have more neighbors, new friends, dog friends, and regular visitors here in the woods than at any apartment or home ive ever lived in and all because the school bus makes them smile! They see it as a clever escape from the over hype of this season. A guy and his dog on an adventure. But to me, its home and I couldn't be happier!
Thanks for the inspiration fellow skoolies!
-Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
20141112_161125.jpg  

NoVacancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: my story

Great story, Patrick. Thanks for sharing, and welcome!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

You are never alone as you always have three... Me, Myself & I. Good luck with the cold and keep an extra tank or two of propane in case of storms. Don't forget that clear bubble wrap does almost as good a job on keeping the cold at bay while still allowing light in. So you don't ned to live in a cave all winter due to Reflectix on all the windows (or letting the cold in simply because you want light). Stay warm. You are braver than me at those temps!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Welcome and have fun and save cash
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #5

Year: 1990
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: Bussette
Engine: chepy350
Rated Cap: 1

Thanks you guys. I spent all weekend trying to dig out my my lil town runner car with no luck, it went sideways off the road and is now burried to the windows. The tow co wont risk their fancy truck to pull me out and the town plowed a giant wall of snow across the road entrance. Im now hiking in and out. Lorna, great idea with the bubble wrap, ive been looking for a new window treatment! Also my floor is ice cold, I want to fix that next check. Ideas welcome. As much as I love skiing, I really am looking forward to summer like never before!
Ciao yall!
-Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
20141116_150415.jpg  
NoVacancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners

I've always had cold feet and cold floors are detestable, our kitchen has linoleum tile which in the morning are not
pleasant to step on so we went to IKEA and I bought a 8' X 3' rug for around $15 and it has been a life saver or should
I say foot saver. After a couple of years it was starting to look tired and dirty so we tossed it in the washer and now
it's shorter and narrower than before but it's also thicker and warmer and bus size as well. Give it a try.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote