Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2021, 03:32 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird 6 window
Chassis: International 3700
Engine: 7.3 idi
Rated Cap: 21,000 lbs
Made some progress today. The formula is wire wheel until it is thin and the yellow paint is showing and then dissolve away the residue with copious amounts of acetone. Not fun and makes a huge mess but at least it is working
IMG_1555.jpg

Andre3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: MVP-ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L tan block, MD 3060
Read somewhere (sorry not sure where) that if the black stuff is not mildew it is degraded elastomeric paint and must be removed completely. They said that you had to maintain and repaint as needed to prevent this from happening, but once there it must all go. Depends on how deep it goes as to what tool would be best, but mainly just hard work. I also read a lot of negative things about Tropicool, so I used Bus Kote on the roof. I will use some Tropicool on the inside of ceiling, walls and floor,but the 100% silicone is what people say is the problem using it on the roof. Also was advised to always wipe with real mineral spirits right before painting.
skooliedog@gmail.com
SMMTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:54 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
man you're doing the hard work, but it will pay off.

this is exactly why I always advise against elastomeric paints as roof coating for buses.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:48 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Ford E450, Collins 20 Passenger
Engine: Ford 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14,500
I remember, two years ago during my build, reading East Coast CB’s posts about just using flat white paint. I ignored and learned the hard way.

FOR ANYONE TRYING TO CLEAN THIS STUFF - here’s the trick.

Don’t pressure wash, it doesn’t work.

Get a BIG FAT super soft sponge. Fill a bucket with warm water and some dish soap. It takes the dirt right off, almost no scrubbing. It’s unreal how easily dirt comes off with that but not a pressure washer. It will be sparkling white like the day you first applied it. However, you have to hand clean every inch of the roof.

Note: With silicone elastomeric you also can’t use sealants over it. So you need to peel back the elastomeric just to get to a leak and get the seam sealer to stick to the metal. Or haul around a can of Henry’s everywhere you go. Or pay $40 for the smallest container you can get.

In theory it’s a great product. It seals stuff up, for sure. Once you actually start driving your bus around, getting dirty, have branches scraping your paint, etc, it’s becomes entirely unpractical to work with when living on the road.

The fact I can’t power wash my roof annoys the **** out of me.
spmccormick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:45 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmccormick85 View Post
I remember, two years ago during my build, reading East Coast CBís posts about just using flat white paint. I ignored and learned the hard way.

FOR ANYONE TRYING TO CLEAN THIS STUFF - hereís the trick.

Donít pressure wash, it doesnít work.

Get a BIG FAT super soft sponge. Fill a bucket with warm water and some dish soap. It takes the dirt right off, almost no scrubbing. Itís unreal how easily dirt comes off with that but not a pressure washer. It will be sparkling white like the day you first applied it. However, you have to hand clean every inch of the roof.

Note: With silicone elastomeric you also canít use sealants over it. So you need to peel back the elastomeric just to get to a leak and get the seam sealer to stick to the metal. Or haul around a can of Henryís everywhere you go. Or pay $40 for the smallest container you can get.

In theory itís a great product. It seals stuff up, for sure. Once you actually start driving your bus around, getting dirty, have branches scraping your paint, etc, itís becomes entirely unpractical to work with when living on the road.

The fact I canít power wash my roof annoys the **** out of me.
Wow. Well thanks man, I sure do appreciate the update and the honesty.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:43 PM   #26
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International (Navistar)
Chassis: 37' FE Flatnose 3800FC
Engine: 7.6L DT466 with Allison MD 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMMTX View Post
I also read a lot of negative things about Tropicool, so I used Bus Kote on the roof. I will use some Tropicool on the inside of ceiling, walls and floor,but the 100% silicone is what people say is the problem using it on the roof. Also was advised to always wipe with real mineral spirits right before painting.
Does Tropicool work to make the bus cooler, if it's used inside the bus under ceilings, walls, and floors? If so how?
Maggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote