Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #1

Nearly Ready to Buy!

Hello Everyone!

My Wife and I have achieved our financial goals, and should be ready to purchase a bus early next week. I have been scouring the auction sites, dealers, facebook marketplace, and craigslist and have had a few thoughts. First, I don't think we are interested in an auction, while they may get the best deals, they seem difficult for a first time bus buyer to feel fully comfortable with what they are getting. So that leaves dealers, facebook and craigslist.

I have been particularly interested in the 10 window International 3800 from 1995-2003ish. Staying pre 2004 to avoid DEF and a 10 window because they offer a little over 24' of buildable space but keeps the overall lengths reasonable for government campgrounds. Additionally, the 3800 appeals because there are many of them available with prime drivetrains, I have been looking for a DT466E, and will be avoiding the AT545 transmission.

The only nagging thought I can't keep out of my head is would I be happier with a RE. We are planning on using this rig for spring/summer/fall camping, probably mostly weekend trips, but with some longer 3-4 week trips. Most of our drives would probably be no more than 4-5 hours in one stretch, but more normally 2-3 hours. Would a doghouse be bearable for that amount of time?

As for actual buses, this one popped up at Avery's recently and I can't help but think it seems to match what I'm looking for well....
https://averysbusandtruck.wixsite.co...ndtrucks/buses

I have a checklist of things I'll be looking at once we go to look at a bus, and we will probably have it service near where we buy it to avoid problems on the drive back to Michigan.

Anyway, I guess I'm just excited we are nearly ready and looking to see if there's anything I'm overlooking.

Thanks!

GingrMartini is offline   Reply With Quote