Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #1

Need a quick measurement from a Crown Supercoach owner

Hey gang, sorry this has to be my first post - I promise I will do a proper introduction later

I recently purchased a Crown Supercoach, but it won't be in my driveway for a couple of weeks. I am wondering if anyone can measure the opening of the spare tire (I believe) storage compartment on the curb side just aft of the front wheel. I am trying to figure out if I can squeeze a Kubota genny in there - just the opening dimensions are required, height by width (and I'm most concerned with height).

Cheers!
Adam

Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

If it is a spare tire compartment and not a luggage compartment the only thing on the bottom is a rack to hold the tire up.

There is at least 18" between the bottom of the bus floor and the bottom of the skirt.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78
We put a large Onin Cummins Quiet Diesel 8000 watt generator in that spare tire compartment. We put in rails on the frame so we could easily pull it out for maintenance. Our generator weights over 400 lbs. I will probably go to my bus tomorrow and can measure the dimensions.

This spare tire compartment is ideal on a Crown for your generator. We ran a fuel line from the diesel fuel tank to provide the generator's fuel.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:07 AM   #4

Thank you both for the input! I really appreciate it.

gmarvel, I read through your build closely. Seeing as how you squeezed in an 8k Onan, I figure the opening has to be at least 22" tall, give or take a smidge. I am starting on my own conversion soon and one of the first things I will have done is a reskinning of the door like you did. I may have some questions for you soon. Actually, I plan on doing quite a few things inspired by your thread! Thanks for sharing.

Adam
Old 02-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78
Thanks for the comments about my build. Advice and ideas are yours for the taking. I am going to the bus this afternoon and will do a complete measurement of the opening so you can feel comfortable. I am assuming the spare tire openings are all the same.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarvel View Post
Thanks for the comments about my build. Advice and ideas are yours for the taking. I am going to the bus this afternoon and will do a complete measurement of the opening so you can feel comfortable. I am assuming the spare tire openings are all the same.
gmarvel, I wonder if you might be willing to PM me your email? I have a handful of questions regarding your build and I'd love to be able to get in touch. You should have received a PM from me last week, I believe. Thanks!

Tags
crown, dimensions, generator