Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Nah, I don't think it's all that intrusive. Tho I will say I don't like your curved stairs.

Yup.

I don't want/need a garage. My bed would be in the back regardless. With a door there I would have to turn the bed sideways (which I may or may not do anyway). It would be nice to have a bigger door. I have been considering paneling over my e-door and moving it one window over to a 32" section. I mean who the hell puts an e-door in a 25" section when there's a 32" right next to it. Hello Blue Bird, are you listening? I need to go junk yard diving and see if I can find a bigger e-door.

So, with your beloved FE and rear door bus--, how wide is your rear door? I don't think my ribs are far enough apart for a handicapped door. I brought the sheet metal into the bus using the rear e-window. It measures something like 44" wide. Not quite wide enough for the sheet metal flat but big enough on the diagonal. That was kinda annoying.
I'll have to go measure my door.

I have two CE's so I have WIDE straight stairs.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'll have to go measure my door.
Do you have a side exit too or is it just the front and rear doors?

Quote:
I have two CE's so I have WIDE straight stairs.
CE??? Not Center Engine.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Quote:
Do you have a side exit too or is it just the front and rear doors?

CE??? Not Center Engine.
I sold the FE bus and now own two CE aka conventional buses.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Quote:
I sold the FE bus and now own two CE aka conventional buses.
5 feet of wasted hood space.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Quote:
5 feet of wasted hood space.
Gotta have somewhere to put this-
Old 07-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I think its funny that RE folks think the doghouse on a FE is so intrusive but don't mind a giant refrigerator sized lump where the rear door could be.

But we all have different wants and needs. At the end of the day I think any bus is capable of being awesome.
Most of us RE folks understand that a comparable FE has more usable floor space.

One of the things I like about my RE is not having the engine intruding into my living room.

In my RE the engine intrusion will be much more subtle.

"But we all have different wants and needs. At the end of the day I think any bus is capable of being awesome
."

Amen!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #67
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob
I disagree; wheel humps are smaller (I think). I'll see if I can't find my measurements somewhere.
Square footage, not cubic footage. My wheel humps take up 28 square feet of floor space. If your engine is a 3 foot deep shelf that goes 7 feet across, that's only 21 square feet. Of course you might have a read engine AND wheel arches in the same bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob
Chair rail as in house yes? The chair rail in the bus (where the seats mount) are only 10 1/2" (???) high.
Yeah I built our frame to attach to the chair rail, the top of the platform is about 13 inches above floor level.. She can actually stand up on the bed. but she shouldn't, because she has a knack for falling off of things. If the earth actually was flat she'd have fallen off of it by now.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #68
Bus Nut

For any school bus that’s been well maintained-from a school district anything under $5000 is a Deal.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #69
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
My full-sized bed is mounted longitudinally on a custom frame. I haven't bolted the frame down, so if the rear access covers need to be removed, the bed is easy to relocate.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #70
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Square footage, not cubic footage. My wheel humps take up 28 square feet of floor space. If your engine is a 3 foot deep shelf that goes 7 feet across, that's only 21 square feet. Of course you might have a read engine AND wheel arches in the same bus!
25x46x2 + 19x45x2 = 4010 Wheels

(32 +19)x90 = 4590 back deck and bench seat

Holding out for a 40' RE wheel chair bus might have been best. I dunno what the ceiling height in the flat floor buses are.

Anywho, wheel humps and RE covers are not that big of a deal in my plans. Certainly NOT a loss of floor space. Bed over engine and closets/storage over rear wheels, couch and looks like storage in the front. Might have to reconsider front storage. I haven't looked at my floor plans in a year. They will likely change.

I just can't see the front engine cover being usable space above it. If you have plans for that area please share as I still have the heater there that I might be able to copy something.

Quote:
Yeah I built our frame to attach to the chair rail, the top of the platform is about 13 inches above floor level.. She can actually stand up on the bed. but she shouldn't, because she has a knack for falling off of things. If the earth actually was flat she'd have fallen off of it by now.
Perhaps they are sisters. First time I took her camping, she wandered off to pee. Came back all scuffed up. She fell over while squatting. Not sure how that is even done. Then on the way back she tripped. I knew then I was in trouble.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #71
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
I don't think I believe that. Originally I was thinking dog nose; they definitely don't have as much space. All flat nose buses have 30', 35, 40' (whatever) bumper to bumper. All of that is interior.

I'm putting a bed over my engine. Storage under it. That's 100% usable space. What are you putting over your engine? I could rip out the front heater but I'm not since 1) it's a PITA 2) wouldn't be usable space without covering the steps. FE buses have the front heater and steps too so I don't get how an FE has "more" space than RE.
Awesome!! Thanks