Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2022, 01:23 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Chevy Kodiak
Engine: 3126B CAT
Rated Cap: 27K
Need help finding......

My 1988 Bird had a small flap that stopped the front staircase door control handle from locking when you exit. IOW, if you slap the doors shut too hard the handle can/will full stroke and lock you out. With the mystery gizmo you flick the little steel flap down off it's magnetic holder and it blocks the door handle from full stroking shut when you exit and swing the door closed. I've talked to multiple parts vendors and my normally trusty salvage yard. They've never heard of it!!! My 2001 Bird doesn't have it. I'd assume every bus needs one if it has the ability to lock the rear exit from vandalism? Without it you'll be constantly locking yourself out with a fuzz too much slam speed on door closure. If anyone knows where to get one, or has a chassis and vin of one that had one...... or... if you want to be my hero for life, a part number.... I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jason

Tin Roadtube Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 02:47 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 60
This? Did a little googling.

https://midwestbusparts.com/product/...trol-stop-kit/
tlzimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Can you post a picture of the 88 handle in question?
I have an 02 HC bus with wide doors that will easily shut and lock like yours. I hope to find another solution other than me relying to remember to leave a flap in place. That will surely leave me locked out!
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:35 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlzimmerman View Post
Thanks TLZ, coincidentally I spent some time back and forth with Tammy Polfuss (the parts gal) from Midwest. She was great, that whole bunch really. They called manufacturer, took pics out of the box with measurement, etc. We never located an engineering interpretation of fitting this device to my style bus, no lack of effort on her behalf. I’m still staring at the turnstile and not visualizing how that device would fit in a blocking position…… Maybe if I have a few Old Milwaukee’s tonight, and stare long enough I’ll have some sorta epiphany?
Attached Thumbnails
20220819_145614.jpg  
Old 08-20-2022, 10:48 AM   #5
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 60
Get some pics of where it was mounted. That'll help.
tlzimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:23 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Mount a small hinge that flips over to block the mechanism? Without pics it's difficult to come up with much more.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:01 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
Can you post a picture of the 88 handle in question?
I have an 02 HC bus with wide doors that will easily shut and lock like yours. I hope to find another solution other than me relying to remember to leave a flap in place. That will surely leave me locked out!
I don't have a pic, it's long retired to my buddies field an hour south.....
Old 08-22-2022, 10:03 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlzimmerman View Post
Get some pics of where it was mounted. That'll help.
Unavailable... If I had to guess, I think that gizmo pictured is to lock and hold a door open. It has a spring return built in, makes more sense to think it resets itself after being applied.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:21 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I had the same problem with my 06 BB. All you need to do is adjust the big turnbuckle gizmo in the door closure linkage. You want to shorten the linkage so the handle has to be pulled harder to close. this will make the door close tighter and seal better and the extra compression of the door seals will make it almost impossible to slam from outside and lock yourself out. Just loosen the jamb nut, pull the pin that conects buckle to door and turn to adjust. Reinsert pin and tighten the jamb nut.
rwf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:42 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwf71 View Post
I had the same problem with my 06 BB. All you need to do is adjust the big turnbuckle gizmo in the door closure linkage. You want to shorten the linkage so the handle has to be pulled harder to close. this will make the door close tighter and seal better and the extra compression of the door seals will make it almost impossible to slam from outside and lock yourself out. Just loosen the jamb nut, pull the pin that conects buckle to door and turn to adjust. Reinsert pin and tighten the jamb nut.
Seems like a good solution to the problem! Some buses I've driven had a pushrod on the front that could be pressed to unlock the door lever. A bus I drove for a YMCA used a rope that was reached by sliding the driver's window and pulling the rope to open the door. None of these methods require spending $57+ for a few pieces of steel and some hardware.
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote