Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1972
Coachwork: International Loadstar 1600
Engine: 345 V8
Need help finding part!

Hello all!

I've got a 72 International Loadstar 1600 with a 345. Does anyone know where to find a thermostat and gasket? It seems like anytime I search for parts, I can't find an exact match. Belts seem to be hard to find as well. I'm able to find the correct width but the length is always too short.

LazyLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #2

Need injectors for my 7.3 t444e 2000 4300 international
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyLeg View Post
Hello all!

I've got a 72 International Loadstar 1600 with a 345. Does anyone know where to find a thermostat and gasket? It seems like anytime I search for parts, I can't find an exact match. Belts seem to be hard to find as well. I'm able to find the correct width but the length is always too short.
if you have one in your area try the older stores that NAPA hass been buying out.
and since then any NAPA store has had access to that kind of stuff.
any auto parts store and kids at the counter ask them to drop there computer and pull there gates book for belts or grote book for lights out from under the counter and find the correct number or take the book and find it for them.
maybe i can help?
which belt are you trying to find.
does it run more than one accessory?
or is it crank to power steering or whatever.
you can get the gates stuff online and walk into the parts store with the parts number.
wish you luck.
i have a belt handbook but its for HVAC equipment and could probably match one up but would need to know what type of groove your pulley has?
for example a type A or type AB.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
that engine is widely known and used.
there is no reason why you can not walk into a parts store and ask for them or order the size you want online?
but then again if you dont know how to buy injectors for your motor then you need someone to put the injectors in for you so let them buy the injectors?
not trying to be a butthead but if you dont know where to get injectors then you probably dont knnow what it takes to replace them.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #5

No I can replace them I was just hoping someone would tell me where I can get a decent deal on them I found a whole set for I thousand dollars but they are rebuilt and Don’t know if rebuilds is a good way to go thanks
Old 09-06-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
No I can replace them I was just hoping someone would tell me where I can get a decent deal on them I found a whole set for I thousand dollars but they are rebuilt and Don’t know if rebuilds is a good way to go thanks

Considering these injectors typically go for around $200 *EACH*, then I'd say a full set for a thousand is either a good deal, or of suspect quality (or both?). Rebuilds are usually just fine.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Hello all!

ihpartsamerica.com

Most any auto parts store should have them . Just do not tell them it is a school bus. These engines were used in pickups and scouts as well and they will be able to look up numbers better by searching pickups instead of trucks.

Do your old belts have any marking to identify them? if use those numbers to cross referance.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Another note on belts any real auto parts store can measure the belts to find a match
Old 09-08-2020, 08:15 AM   #9

Thanks I appreciate the help
Old 09-08-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Do you have part numbers? I have some NOS injectors.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thermostat and gasket.. go to napa and it is either a 72 or 73 International Scout II with a 345..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:

have you for sure tested the injectors bad? be sure to run through all the tests and various fixes. before just swapping them out..

if you just want new ones, thats fine too. if they are old and worn out.. but injectors misfiring or throwing codes can often be traced to HPOP pressure or wiring harness issues..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
if you have one in your area try the older stores that NAPA hass been buying out.
and since then any NAPA store has had access to that kind of stuff.
any auto parts store and kids at the counter ask them to drop there computer and pull there gates book for belts or grote book for lights out from under the counter and find the correct number or take the book and find it for them.
maybe i can help?
which belt are you trying to find.
does it run more than one accessory?
or is it crank to power steering or whatever.
you can get the gates stuff online and walk into the parts store with the parts number.
wish you luck.
i have a belt handbook but its for HVAC equipment and could probably match one up but would need to know what type of groove your pulley has?
for example a type A or type AB.
So good news! We cleaned the thermostat and the housing. We boiled it and around 187 degrees it opened up! So it's still good. My only concern now is once it's time to drive back up the mountain, it's a 1 hour and 30 min drive back to Weaverville, NC and 25 has a steep incline for about 30 mins of that drive. I'm trying to do everything I can at the moment to fix it up to avoid overheating. Any recommondations? It's a 5 speed so luckily I can control that aspect. We're replacing all of the hoses, flushed the radiator, added new coolant. Anything I'm missing?
Old 09-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
ihpartsamerica.com

Most any auto parts store should have them . Just do not tell them it is a school bus. These engines were used in pickups and scouts as well and they will be able to look up numbers better by searching pickups instead of trucks.

Do your old belts have any marking to identify them? if use those numbers to cross referance.
The belts were so old that the markings were gone. We ended up finding the right ones and I saved the part numbers to make it easier for the next go around.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Have had overheating problems already? These old Internationals have really good cooling systems so I would expect it to Not overheat unless there was already an issue.

I have pulled some pretty heavy trailers over steep grades and I never see the gauge go above normal. I have verified the gauge is correct too. I did have an International dump truck loadstar 1600 with the same engine and it never overheated either.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:30 AM   #16

Need injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Do you have part numbers? I have some NOS injectors.
No I don’t have the part numbers and what is nos . I found a company that will rebuild my injectors on eBay for 545 just don’t know
Old 09-15-2020, 05:47 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
No I don’t have the part numbers and what is nos . I found a company that will rebuild my injectors on eBay for 545 just don’t know
NOS. New old stock
Old 09-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #18

Nos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
NOS. New old stock
Thanks I Need all the help I can get if it was gas motor no problem diesel motor all new game for me
Old 09-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
When I get home I'll track down what they fit.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:20 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
So good news! We cleaned the thermostat and the housing. We boiled it and around 187 degrees it opened up! So it's still good. My only concern now is once it's time to drive back up the mountain, it's a 1 hour and 30 min drive back to Weaverville, NC and 25 has a steep incline for about 30 mins of that drive. I'm trying to do everything I can at the moment to fix it up to avoid overheating. Any recommondations? It's a 5 speed so luckily I can control that aspect. We're replacing all of the hoses, flushed the radiator, added new coolant. Anything I'm missing?
Something else to check , ignition timing, more to the point check that it is advancing properly. The manual specs 41 degrees total of centrifugal and vacuum. Do not add 41 to the base timing , that is what I mean by "total" timing