Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #1

Need Help in Colorado!!

Hi all, my wife and I have a 2000 blue bird, forty footer that we were converting RV/Tiny Home. We finished the demo on the inside before the pandemic, but our budget was throw off because of it putting the project on hold. Now that we can work on it again, we had to have and lost access to the space where we could work on it.
The bus is now currently in a storage unit that won't allow it to be worked on, as a temporary solution only. We have become hard pressed to find anywhere in existence to be able to park it and finish the job. Does anybody know of such a place, or of a garage that works with DIY?

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
You could get a generator and drive the bus somewhere every day to work on it. I've read that Lowe's and Home Depot sometimes allow this but never tried it myself. You could drive to an industrial area and find an unused side road and work on it there; if you get rousted out by an LEO you just move on. You could maybe drive the bus to your house each day and work on it, which would be even better if your neighbors tolerate it (probably not in an apartment without much parking). I had my bus parked at my house for almost two months last winter while working on it, and somebody finally called code enforcement on me just as I was leaving anyway. For the last few weeks I've been bringing the bus over just during the day and never on weekends, and nobody has complained. The legality of this is local - in my town if you have a vehicle legally registered as a motorhome you're allowed to store/park it at your house, but the legality of working on or restoring a vehicle is more of a gray area.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response, I have wanted a generator for some time now as I wanted to use it for power for future camping/living. I like the idea of taking it to home depot and working on it there, but I'm worried about getting a ticket. We have been trying to find a place to work on it quickly to be able to get insurance and registration for it. We would try to operate in some Grey areas yet we live in boulder county(ahhh we need to escape!) And they low key crack down quick with the revenue dept.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:41 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl View Post
Thanks for the quick response, I have wanted a generator for some time now as I wanted to use it for power for future camping/living. I like the idea of taking it to home depot and working on it there, but I'm worried about getting a ticket. We have been trying to find a place to work on it quickly to be able to get insurance and registration for it. We would try to operate in some Grey areas yet we live in boulder county(ahhh we need to escape!) And they low key crack down quick with the revenue dept.
I have heard that CO in general is not super-friendly to skoolies. But I definitely wouldn't recommend driving it at all if you're not registered and insured yet. So forget my advice there.

I've found two places so far where I've parked and worked on my skoolie. Both took lots and lots of phone calls and driving around to find. My current spot I only found when randomly driving past it, and I had to try for literally months to get in touch with the guy who owned it. Turns out he was avoiding me because he had previously rented to a skoolie builder who skipped out on rent after dumping seats and demo debris in one of this outbuildings.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
where to go....

first, get it insured, then registered...... with out these two ... any time you drive it you are on really shaky legal ground... many many places can impound.

so use google earth to find industrial areas that might have space to park and work on the bus......areas next to train tracks... dead ends.. cul de sacs areas that look like there is no business going on at all..... with for lease or for sale signs...... move it on friday night... work on it and stay with it over the weekend and park in storage at week nights.... hell, if there is parking outside the storage place park outside on the street and work curbside..... out of sight out of mind.... there is a place near me that seems to be public wasteland under a bridge..... place to park... there are no "no Parking "signs.... dead ends, empty lots either side bet some one could park under there in the shade all day and never have to move. Keep it clean and the police probably let things go.

hope this gives you an idea or two

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
You can go back to the other thread, print the form and mail a check to Vermont today and have a plate within a month.

You can then call Kelly Newsome at Allstate and have it insured on Monday for liability. There's no reason not to.

That will open up more opportunities to find a spot with much less stress. Good luck.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Looking for a place to convert our bus
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I copied a couple of answers from another thread that might be helpful. I too had no electricity and used a genny until I got my solar hooked up.

Hey, while we’re at it. Where would you stay if you drove your bus to Boulder? We will be in the area in a couple of months. We won’t tow a car. Just bus and bikes. We found golden gate state park. My wife loves Boulder and I’m a Nederland kinda guy if you know what I mean.
Thanks, Dave
[emoji3522]
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado, garage, storage wanted