Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Need help regarding wheels and tires for a 66 Chevy Bus

I currently have split rims with tires that are on their last legs. I am wanting to upgrade to regular rims and I have a few questions:

1. Can I easily put new wheels and tires on there - i.e. will they just bolt on.

2. If I can just bolt them on, what types do you recommend?

3. Is it possible to go with a bigger tire size? We do most driving on the highway and I would like the extra few MPH's that would come with a larger tire.

4. Where do you recommend I get replacement tires and wheels? Is there anything wrong with a salvage yard?

7000 watt generator powering 2 6500 btu A/C's
Rebuilt 350 puts the power down.
66ChevyTailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via Yahoo to stego
Hi Tailgater -

The swap should be real straightfoward - they are the same as truck parts. Salvage yards are a great source for replacements - just make sure they swap any bad/bent ones out when you buy. Another great source is school districts - we have to replace tires when they're at about 50%. They may have extra rims around too, although we're sometimes reluctant to part with them. If you can swing the $$ -upgrade to radials - tubeless - with 1-piece rims - you won't regret it! Asumming that your bus is a full size one, you usually go up to 11R-22.5 with no problem. gives a little more speed, and much better ride and handling.

Oh yeah I replied to your PM also - let me know if I can help.

Marshall