Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #1

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Eldorado
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 460
Rated Cap: 15
Need help with AC

Im new to the whole bus thing and in need of help. My 1989 e350 Eldorado 15 passenger has a 13500 btu rv ac on roof. It does'nt keep the bus cool during the hottest part of the day. Is this unit not big enough or is something wrong with it? Another question. At one time something was mounted behind drivers door and in front of rear wheel. looks like ac lines ran to it. What used to be there? And finally can someone point me in the right direction to get info on original Ford ac on this bus? Diagrams or any tech info would greatly be appreciated. It doesn't work right now but my Father-in-law is working on it. Thanks for any help.

irev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Need help with AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by irev
Im new to the whole bus thing and in need of help. My 1989 e350 Eldorado 15 passenger has a 13500 btu rv ac on roof. It does'nt keep the bus cool during the hottest part of the day. Is this unit not big enough or is something wrong with it? Another question. At one time something was mounted behind drivers door and in front of rear wheel. looks like ac lines ran to it. What used to be there? And finally can someone point me in the right direction to get info on original Ford ac on this bus? Diagrams or any tech info would greatly be appreciated. It doesn't work right now but my Father-in-law is working on it. Thanks for any help.
Boy-I feel your pain (stuck in traffic yesterday with no AC @ 95*)
If you bus is set up like mine, when the bus was built up from a partial chassis, they disable the stock AC + run the rear AC unit in series with the stock stuff.(mine has a sticker on the dash "rear AC must be on for the front to work" does yours have something like that?) My stock condeser sits never used in front of the radiator-the whole system ran thru the big condeser under the bus. (from behind the driver to the rear wheel) I eliminated the rear AC and am trying to get the parts to hook just the front up.
Is the roof top unit a stand along unit?

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #3

No sticker on dash but it sounds like might be same kind of setup. I guess getting the oem air fixed would be out of the question. I'm sure it would be to costly. As for the roof top AC. Its your standard carrier RV unit. 110v running of off a generator. We are using it when we drive. If its 85 or so it will not keep the bus cool.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

I hope I dont have this problem with my shortie, my a/c is a 13,500 and it keeps my 24' camper really cool. I hope it can do the same for the bus. About the same sq footage. I will follow this thread and see what becomes of your a/c problem. good luck
Old 07-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #5

Thanks sdwarf. After reading your post I did some research on what was missing from our AC system. It is called a skirt mounted condenser.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Want one?

Old 07-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #7

Is that off of your e450? Is it in good working order? I might be interested if my father inlaw feels up to the challenge. PM or email me.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #8

What about the carrier 110 volt unit on the roof. Should 13500 btu be enough to cool my bus?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #9

Roof unit is very clean. It is drawing 12 amps @ full load. It is giving me a 20 deg temp drop from air intake to what is blowing in bus. Starting to think its just not big enough.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #10

Bus is painted silver. The body is double wall fiberglass I believe. I've not added any insulation. The AC unit is clean as a pin inside and put including coils. Yes 85 degrees in 65 degrees out. It recirculates cabin air. No window shades but all side window have a very dark tint.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #11

This is a sealed unit. I've been told it would cost more to recharge than its worth. Anyone had this done? How expensive is it.

Please excuse my typing. I'm on my blackberry. Lol
Old 07-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

I did some research into my bus this last couple days. got it inside so i can work on it again lol. I got a bus similar to Sdwarf's. on my dash was "do not use dash air without rear air or blow off may occur". I have a skirt mount condenser like his to but only a 2 fan. I need to get it cleaned out in the worst way to! I found out the hoses come up into the bus body just behind the drivers seat on the angle then go up to the top of the bus and run along the angled part at the roof and go to the AC in the rear.

anyhow, does anyone know how to tell if these systems are charged etc?

hmm as for control panel mine just has a rocker on the dash that leads to the circuit box above the drivers seat that runs a relay to start the rear AC. I dunno if the dash has to be on at the same time.. I assume it does to run the AC pump but i havent confirmed that.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff
I did some research into my bus this last couple days. got it inside so i can work on it again lol. I got a bus similar to Sdwarf's. on my dash was "do not use dash air without rear air or blow off may occur". I have a skirt mount condenser like his to but only a 2 fan. I need to get it cleaned out in the worst way to! I found out the hoses come up into the bus body just behind the drivers seat on the angle then go up to the top of the bus and run along the angled part at the roof and go to the AC in the rear.

anyhow, does anyone know how to tell if these systems are charged etc?

hmm as for control panel mine just has a rocker on the dash that leads to the circuit box above the drivers seat that runs a relay to start the rear AC. I dunno if the dash has to be on at the same time.. I assume it does to run the AC pump but i havent confirmed that.
Yea-we got the same arrangement. The 2 ports to test are up under the hood. The coach builder just chucked the stock hoses + made their own. The parts are out there to turn it back to front only. (I'm hoping! ) I picked up some hoses off a 99 diesel. MIne still has the stocker condeser up front of the radiator-never hooked up.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

ill have to take a good look under the hood and stuff while it is inside to see if mine is like that to.

I assume they used the factory AC pump though?
Old 07-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #15

Mine has a control panel mounted on engine cover full of toggle switches. It controls all interior lights, door, and rear heat and air. I wish I had a owners Manual or better yet a service manual.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #16

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Gmc 3500 HD
Engine: 350 gas
Rated Cap: 22

Carrier has manuals and parts lists on the internet at www. transportaircon. carrier.com. The telephone help line is just an answering machine though. You probably have a split system in bus. Gen 1-5. The front , at least on my bus is an add on, but carrier has no parts or records of add ons in front, even though I had a model number of 442 in dash. My gmc dealer says its not gm anyway. Attempting to get my air going. 134 was stuck at dryer. So had to open up system and am attempting to find new dryer and expansion valves. Found dryer on ebay and back exp valve at napa. Front system has been a challenge but think Napa finally found it. Mine was standard and most today are metric. Hasn't cost a fortune yet.
Beef Cen IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

took a look at mine quickly this morning when i was at the shop. the compressor is factory but the lines come up from the back, into the pump, and go back under again. So i guess thats why they say to use both at the same time.