Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #1

Need opinions on two potential bus's

Hi there,

First time poster, but have been reading for a while now! I could really use some expert advice/opinions.

We've decided to buy our first bus and are down to two possible bus's.

Candidate #1 - Price 4,000
1970 MCI-7
Partially converted, has partial shower, bathroom, master bedroom. We're not particularly fond of the layout/flooring so I think we'd take it all out and re-do it. Minimal/no rust, good tires, seemed to be in good condition. It's got an Detroit Diesel 8V71, starts right up and runs good, air systems function properly. Owner states he was told bus has 84,000 original miles, showed me the title and that's what it says... Regardless, has records for $7,000 engine overhaul done less than 3,000 miles ago.

My questions about this one: It has a 10 speed manual transmission, well it's actually a 5 speed with Hi-Low gears. The owner who kind of fell into it was told that the bus came from the factory like that, I've never heard of an MCI with a 10 speed transmission. It shifts and seems to function smooth. Regarding the miles, is there any way to verify the 84,000 miles?

Canidate #2 - 8,000
1980 MCI-9
Current owner believes bus has about 1.7 Million miles and it recently had an overhaul 20K miles ago. It's also a Detroit Diesel 8V71 it has a 3 speed automatic transmission. It is partially converted as well, no plumbing work of any kind, has original bathroom. Has a 6.5KW generator wired up so that it can be started inside, also has two rooftop airconditioners which work and make it ice cold inside. Owner stated the air conditioners were 1,200 each. Needs two rear tires.
Engine is leaking oil at nearly a drop per 2 seconds, seems like a lot but I'm not too sure.

My issues with this one: The leaking engine scares me, I know that these 8V71's usually leak a lot, but this seems like an abnormal amount.

So which do you recommend and why?

Thank you so much, whichever one we end up with we'll definitely start a journal here!

topfrog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Need opinions on two potential bus's

I'm guessing that you already know which bus you want, since you state it will be one of the two. I suspect you are looking for someone to agree with you? Trust your instincts. If you buy a bus that is right for someone else, but not for you, you may resent it for a long time. The great thing about bus conversions is the ability to personalize your bus for the way you will use it, not the way someone else would.

If I were looking for a coach, considering the ages and equipment described, I would make an offer on one close to the asking price, and consider the other one only at a much lower price. But only you know what you want.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Need opinions on two potential bus's

http://www.busnut.com/cgi-bin/bbs/discus.cgi discussion forums guys could tell you more about the buses. An MCI is a highway coach and they do highway coaches over there. They like MCI's there. The only skoolies they like are Crowns.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote