Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Need some help

Alright skoolie nation...here is my dilemma.

I have a pool business along with a property preservation business. This means that I carry a lot of tools all the time. I have looked into buying something like a Isuzu NPR with a box, but I came across a 2002 Thomas short bus with a 1000 lb wheelchair lift. Newish tires, road air, Cat engine, and Allison auto.

Plan is to have tool storage and a work bench on one side, and places for lumber, bulky items, and parts down the other. I will have to have a trailer hitch as well.

I was wondering if anyone here had made a work vehicle out of a bus? I know that I will have to keep logs and such, I already have a class B CDL. I have not seen any threads as such...so any info will be appreciated.

msumoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
If you run within 150 miles of your home base AND start and end your work day at that location, you're not required to run a logbook. And if you have a class B CDL you could run a full size bus if you wanted to, as you know that is good for vehicles >26k lbs, I think the trailer can't be more than 10k though. I held a class A which was good for any vehicle that didn't require special license endorsements.

Having said all that I haven't seen anyone make a work truck out of a bus but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that, just stay within the GVWR once it's fully loaded out and has all the toolboxes, parts and materials you plan to keep on board.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

The stuff I normally carry isn't that heavy. I just need more space.

The S10 blazer and a trailer gets old.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
Bus Nut

You'll be golden then as far as the weight goes. If anything it sounds like you could carry more in the bus... maybe you wouldn't need a trailer at all unless it's for something that's too large to fit through the doors.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Sometimes I have to clean out a house, so I really don't want that nastiness in tge bus, also, need to carry my lawn mower, and don't want to allocate that space in the bus.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I get that..... a mower would be awkward to get in and out anyway without a lift, and totally understand about the nastiness factor. A trailer can be hosed out.... not so easy with a bus.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I sortof have a shop in this bus; i left the rear ten feet for two benches and all my tools. I am often sitting out back working on something.

Good idea, and good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote