Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2020, 02:20 AM   #1

New Bus Need Ideas

I bought my 1st bus for conversion. Its a 8 window 9 including driver. Diesel T444E Allison. Its got 2 ac, one on the pass side one rear. Has handicapped ramp on rear side. Does anyone have recommendations for a practical layout ican use for ideas? Leave the ac's? What can i do with this handicap ramp? Id there a sell option? What about these bus seats? Has anyone repurposed them into dinnette or bed?

Hayesgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Here's a thread on whether or not to remove your AC: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/th...a-c-27952.html. I have no opinion since I have no AC.

Many people have repurposed seats into a dinette. Never seen anyone turn them into a bed, though. I just left my seats outside the bus until they were "stolen" by scrappers.

Welcome to skoolie.net! If you go up to User CP in the upper left corner, you can edit your profile details, and then everybody here will know where you're at and what kind of bus you have.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Some people find the lift useful for putting stuff in the bus, then discarding it later. Or extending the platform in a toy hauler build. A scrapper should accept it and maybe the seats as well. Your local dump may accept seats as well, it's how I got rid of mine in my first bus. Paid about $70. State Farm later told me that I could not keep any of the original seats in my build.

I'm about to use the lift in my new bus to help relocate my toolboxes.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesgeorge View Post
I bought my 1st bus for conversion. Its a 8 window 9 including driver. Diesel T444E Allison. Its got 2 ac, one on the pass side one rear. Has handicapped ramp on rear side. Does anyone have recommendations for a practical layout ican use for ideas? Leave the ac's? What can i do with this handicap ramp? Id there a sell option? What about these bus seats? Has anyone repurposed them into dinnette or bed?
Hey Hayesgeorge. I believe you have the same Shorty that I have. I kept my a/c units ( with advice from Cadillackid. The man knows these machines like the back of his hand). My rear A/C unit I incorporated into my cabinetry. The front unit( evaporator) I removed it and relocated another smaller evaporator, from an ambulance, that will fit up front under windshield. Was able to sell my wheelchair lift for $350. Took all the metal to the scrap yard and was able to buy lunch.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:17 PM   #5

Phatman, how do you like it? Do you have pics of your cabinetry with the ac intergrated? My bus has the condensers under the driver side, 2 one for each unit. Whats your layout? Thatd be great if i could get 350 for my lift. Ive kicked around a skoolie idea for awhile, i remember my uncle having one for a hunting rig. I lost my house to fire almost a month ago now so unfortunate circumstances kinda made the decision to try one now.
Hayesgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:03 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesgeorge View Post
Phatman, how do you like it? Do you have pics of your cabinetry with the ac intergrated? My bus has the condensers under the driver side, 2 one for each unit. Whats your layout? Thatd be great if i could get 350 for my lift. Ive kicked around a skoolie idea for awhile, i remember my uncle having one for a hunting rig. I lost my house to fire almost a month ago now so unfortunate circumstances kinda made the decision to try one now.
Man I’m really sorry to hear that about your house. That’s a real bummer. Hope everything comes out alright. My condenser units are in the back on each side. For some reason all my pictures on here have disappeared. I can upload a couple here so you can see how I incorporated them. I love the bus. Doing my damndest to finish this thing by the end of May. Sorry about the pictures being sideways. Still trying to figure them correctly
Attached Thumbnails
A43976C2-F39B-46E8-BFB1-21FD0E1517E3.jpg   1BE0E28C-143F-420F-ADF5-20936557FB7C.jpg  
Old 03-23-2020, 01:18 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
After reading the thread posted earlier, reflect upon your use model. At a minimum, keeping the front A/C for driving would be my suggestion.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:25 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
After reading the thread posted earlier, reflect upon your use model. At a minimum, keeping the front A/C for driving would be my suggestion.
There is front a/c. It is the small unit under the windshield. It is just sitting on the floor now. When I build the cabinets up front and overhead, I will mount it properly. It came out of a 2002 ambulance.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:45 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
There is front a/c. It is the small unit under the windshield. It is just sitting on the floor now. When I build the cabinets up front and overhead, I will mount it properly. It came out of a 2002 ambulance.
Sorry, I meant the post by musigenesis where he mentioned the A/C thread by cadillackid.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:35 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Sorry, I meant the post by musigenesis where he mentioned the A/C thread by cadillackid.
I gotcha Native.sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #11
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
I had been thinking about using the lift as a deck, an outside shower platform, a table outside for grilling or tailgating, and a Labrador washing station. My friend did all of the above with his lift, which he needed for access with his power chair.

There is a growing interest in the wheelchair-using community in skoolie and van conversions for independent travel. If you are thoughtful about your build, reselling it might be easy.
Caplansail is offline   Reply With Quote