Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: 745B
Engine: T326 9.0 L
New Guy: Cost question on Bus we are looking at

Hello to all. Just about ready to join the gang here...but have a couple of quick (if there are any quick) questions.

Looking at a 1985 International (Carpenter) Bus that a local church is selling. Overall, in nice condition, has one dent on rear right roof, maybe a tree took revenge on it, only about the size of a small bowl.

It has a 9.0 liter with an AT545 4 spd, with a 5.57 rear end. It is a S1800 model and has the seats already out.

What we want to do is this...we bought some land in Missouri and are going to spend the next 2 years grading, clearing and setting up. My wife is a school teacher so summers are the only "chuck" time we have and since we live in GA it would be quite a haul for a few days of work. Looking to turn it into a semi rv right now, and once our new house is built, putting more love and care into it. Won't need much, bunks, and basics for now.

The church is asking $1,000 for the bus and already checked with DMV (able to register it as an RV) and insurance is running $144 a year. Will be painting it, Uncle is on the board at a local Tech school and was able to wrangle me into the automotive class as a project, I'll supply the paint and supplies, they will clean and prep body then spray in the city booth.

Is this a good deal? Don't want to just jump in and buy it because "Hey, it's a $1,000" for a bus. Don't want to get stuck with a bus that is hard to find spares for, has more disadvantages the advantages and just isn't a good choice. So please, let me have it...good bad or indifferent. Just help me out and figure out if I should snatch this bus up or just sail on by for now.

Many Thanks

Joseph

Joseph97297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: New Guy: Cost question on Bus we are looking at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph97297
It has a 9.0 liter

Don't want to get stuck with a bus that is hard to find spares
That has been the only complaint I have heard from people with the 9.0, but I've heard the same thing of the 6.6 and 7.8 Brazilian diesels and I have had no trouble finding parts. You just have to remember that they're old engines and new parts aren't being made anymore.

Supposedly, while short on power and rather loud (hey...I like that) the 9.0 gets great mileage.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, it is quite loud, but the old Jarhead in me likes that rumble.... I sorta figured that maintenance parts would be a little difficult to find. The bus has 173,000 miles on it, unless the odometer rolled over past 999,999 the started another run....

So is it a decent find or is it just too old to look at?

thanks,

Joseph
Old 10-09-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Crawl under it and look. Get to know your brakes. A thousand bucks is cheaper than a ready made storage shed of similar size. Make sure you have room to park and turn it. I damage my bus every time I return to my driveway--they say it takes 3 lanes to make a 90 degree turn, that is two lanes to turn into a single lane or vis-versa. Pivot point is at the rear wheels.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

When I ran the local Boy Scout Camp I had to drive a Bluebird. So the radius of turns won't be too much of an issue, same with parking it. Got a nice field that I could do dough-nuts around if I needed to. I got under the bus and checked for any major rust issues but didn't see anything of importance. Looks to be really solid and other than a little road tar pick-up, was really clean. Was really surprised at the gas tank, big enough it seems to fit a small man in. When I was at the Camp, didn't pay for the fuel, so really didn't hit me that the tank is a 100 gallons.

The brakes are hydraulic with an electric back-up. They had just been serviced on the maintenance program before the church bought the bus which was about 14 months ago. Reason the bus is selling, is that a local member donated a nice new bus that is sitting next to the older one. The church has all the paperwork and receipts for what they did, new tires all the way around, lights and things.

And yes, that is cheaper that buying a shed of similar size, but man, I want roll in this thing. I think my first mistake was letting the kids in on my desire to buy a bus, cause they are almost excited as me. But like I said earlier, I'm just a little cautious and don't want my excitement to cloud my decision.

I have a few days left before I have to decide, so I'll see if anyone else wants to throw their two cents in.

Many thanks to all who have replied thus far.

Joseph
Old 10-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

I don't think you can go wrong for $1,000 on a diesel bus. I paid $2,000 for my 93 International Carpenter. It's not a lot of money by todays standards. That's a lot of metal you're buying for that much money. You could probably scrap it for that if you had to. I'd say that if she runs, starts up easy and drives and shifts good, then you've definitely found a good deal. I doubt a church has been abusing it or figure 8 racing it. Go for it!
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote