Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #1

new guy, New project

hey guys, Ive been reading and creeping around, getting things together to do a conversion. I have been saving for a diesel bus, full sized and was wondering about some input. I have been looking at about 8-10 different buses locally, what is the best bus/engine combo for driveability, reliabilty and veggie oil conversion? I have been researching on and off for about 4 months, I am currently leaning towards a 1990 thomas bus with a 8.2 International diesel. Is this a good candidate for a conversion ? I welcome any and all input. I love the site and cant wait to have a good conversion. Thanks. ryan

drRyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #2

Re: new guy, New project

Ok so I picked up the bus today. Heres the rundown. It is a 1989 Thomas, it has a short nose, like its almost flat, but it has some hood. Its the 8.2 DD with an Automatic transmission. It ran well on the ride home but I can get it to go over about 50. Im sure it has some governor, does anyone know if this can be turned or adjusted or removed?
This bus is really clean, I was all over the inside and undercarriage today. No rust anywhere, floors seem solid, mileage is low, at 121k. So far so good, I fit it on my property easily and the under clearance cleared the hill in my yard easily so its been a good fit for my lifestyle so far. I am excited and am having a few guys over to help pull seats out for beer. Cant wait to get to work. I am glad to hear about one of these running on WVO, id love to read about yours if you have any posts or pics. Any info is always helpful and appreciated.
drRyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Skoolie

Coachwork: - Still Shopping -
Chassis: - Going Medium/Large -
Engine: - DT466 Desired -
Re: new guy, New project

.. congrats on your new bus .. I am still shopping (I may even just be to picky for that matter) .. post pictures of your progress so I have some more ideas to "borrow" ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote