Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #1

Question New project !!! HELP...

Hello everyone , I'm new to this forum and also my english is not the best; sorry for this .
I'm gonna try to explain why i'm writing this post and what is the goal of my new project.

I'm Italian and i live in Florida i moved here 3 years ago and my goal for August 2016 is to have my School Bus ready to do a "coast to coast trip "
After that i will keep my bus in a Drop Zone close to home where i can go for the week end and sleep there while i jump.

I have to say that before this idea came in to my mind i was really " blind " in this rvs/school bus/ situation and lately i've been trying to learn more from forums like this one or people that lives in the Drop Zone where i usually go.

I've found i few options for the school bus that i would like to buy ( with all the consideration for the status/engine/tires/ecc )
But i have a big problem , unfortunately i don't have to much free time to work on it myself , and honestly i don't really feel comfortable on putting my hands on the school bus and try to arrange to much .
But here in south Florida is very hard to find somebody that can really do it for me .
I've been to several body shop or officine, but nobody want to take care of this project .

Here my question oes anybody knows someone that can take this project in consideration ?!?! please help me... i really want to do it but i haven't started yet and it seems impossible already .

Hope you guys can help me and you are having the best time of your life !!!

Pierosaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Welcome, I know your English is better than my Italian!!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
It would seem, from what you wrote that you plan to spend little time traveling and many hours in one location.

As you have already decided that you can't "do anything" you may just want to spend your money buying an RV that'll suit your needs.

The money spent up front for an RV will "most likely" be less than what you will pay to convert a bus from the ground up, especially with having to pay people to do the work.

If an RV breaks down, you will have an easier time finding a garage to work on it.

Converting a school bus is a "labor of love", you either hate it or love it but either way, you do it for various reasons and I'm not sure any of the reasons you gave will classify you as a "skoolie person". Please forgive me, I'm not wanting to sound rude.

After spending time reading about the various build threads posted here you will see that the majority of us do it for just a handful of reasons.

Ours is 1) Building it to support 2 adults & 3 large dogs full time which I have not seen any RV be to do.

2) Was to be able to get us a travelin' home cheap (which we have found is not to be).

&3) Husband was a bus mechanic for a County School System for 8 years and came away with a good bit of knowledge that even in his advanced years has been able to remember.

You might want to spend a "good bit of time" reading the build sites and see if this is really what you want to sign up for.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:01 AM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Welcome. Now that we got that out of the way, what is a Drop Zone?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:53 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
I think it's the spot right below your crapper
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm in central Fl.
I'm not averse to helping out nice Italian folks!
We are in the Apopka area.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:11 AM   #7

First of all thank you for your comment.

I knew my post could have give this reactions to most of the people that really spend a lot of time working on their Bus/ecc or really love working personally on it .
But UNFORTUNATElY is not my case , and trust me not because i don't love it or don't like the idea of focusing on this project 100% ; but i can't because i move in Florida to work and i can't drop everything ,i would love to ; but again i can't .
Many people suggested me to get a new RV for the same reason you told me , but to be honest is not really what i want , the final goal is not to do this trip and after leave the bus in a place forever ; my goal is to explore this Country , traveling with friends or strangers and meet new people with all the problems that a school bus can give me on the way ;i don't care i love to improvise.
I rode many post on this forum , and all different stories.
I respect them all and my understanding is that this Forum is a peaceful place where people can share opinion and advise , I'm not here to be judged over my project or life or whatever , I'm here for " help ", to find somebody that can help me with the project i have in mind.
Again thank you for your comment and for your opinion over my project , but i believe the one that decided that " CANT DO ANYTHING " i not me ; but those ones who will try to demotivate me .

Thank you
Old 10-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #8

A Drop Zone is where all skydivers go to jump , there are plenty of Drop Zone in this world and in most of them you can park your School Bus or Rv and live there .
Old 10-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Well you're welcome to ask me anything you'd like...
Or you could just drop by and have a beer with myself and the little lady. We LOVE to hang out and talk about buses and travel.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body shop, florida, remodeling, school bus