Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2022, 10:27 AM   #1

New School Bus Driver Looking for Bus Vacuum on the cheap

Hi All,

I'm new here and a new bus driver. I get my first routes next week.

Today i went to clean a bus that we share for training, and it was sooo disgusting, that i brought my power inverter from my car, and my shark vacuum from home. Image/info of power inverter at bottom of this post.

Problem was, that my power inverter/vacuum broke the fuse for the cig lighter on the bus, so its too much.
Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive vacuum that has hose capabilities, that i could run off my power inverter or lighter in the bus? Or at least charge it on the bus? ( i want to keep it on my bus)

dovede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 01:40 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
A far easier and more thorough way to clean it is with compressed air. Open all the doors and start at one end. That's how we cleaned motor homes, vans and limos back in the day.
As far as vacuums go, you'll probably be better off with a decent rechargeable of battery operated (Dewalt, Ryobi, Rigid) with a spare battery
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 01:56 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Battery vacuum way to go.. for me I use a portable battery yard blower and a fan.. open the back door.. open the front door.. blow the fan in the front door and yard blow toward the back.. the fan creates a nice flow front to bacl and the blower blows everything away and out the back door..

a battery Shark is probably a much better solution as you dont stir up all the dust.. the surge current start-up of a home vacuum is pretty strong and will blow the fuse on most any cig lighter or inverter itself..

my 1500 watt inverter in my DEV bus will start my Shark.. that inverter is hooked directly to the battery .. the 425 watt Inverter in my red bus trips its breaker if i try to use my Shark.. even when I try to start the shark on low speed..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:10 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
We carry a DeWalt 20vdc/120vac vacuum.
I am looking at it, I see no model number.
It is engineered for a shop environment, so it is rated for non-flammable fluids and solid debris.
Lately, many battery-operated tools -- drill, saw, etcetera -- come 'plain' with the batteries and charger sold separately.
For our vacuum, a single battery was us$69 on TheWorldWideWeb... but a combo of a DeWalt drill plus two batteries plus charger at our local-owned family-operated home-improvement center was us$76.
Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220310_091303.jpg  
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote