Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3 Allison MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's a fine looking acquisition there. I also particularly like that model but never see them around here.

Congrats.
This is a cute bus, can you tell me what model it is? I have a friend that is looking for a short bus like this.

James

JamieJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJackson View Post
This is a cute bus, can you tell me what model it is? I have a friend that is looking for a short bus like this.

James
Look at the first post.

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3 Allison MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Look at the first post.
Opps

I fell into the thread from google image search.

Thanks!

Jamie
JamieJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Yeah, I saw one on this site (Brokedown) and bought this one sight unseen. It is a international 3800. Thomas Vista model. Too bad you didn't see sooner, they had 4 up for auction.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I was thinking a locomotive train horn to make my presence known. My whole design premise has been to be very unremarkable. My deal is to park this big pig out in the woods and not be noticed, in theory.
Funny you mention locomotive train horn. A Powell 3 Chime steam whistle just showed up today for my E450 Shorty. Cannot wait to hook her up. 115db at 60psi.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Mesa Bus- The Other One

Well, now that I've decompressed from my journey... Last Thursday I flew down to Phoenix, and after a three hour delay, made it to the bus barn to pick up my new ride just before they closed. I asked if anyone could show me the ins and outs of my new bus and out came Sue, a mechanic of 17 years experience in the yard. She spent half an hour showing me all the controls and giving me pointers on the engine. She was awesome!!

Then it was a quick trip to DMV for a trip permit, and Home Depot for supplies to secure the doors. After a short night in a Mesa motel, I was on the Highway. The poor bus did great! I say poor bus, because it probably never hit the highway in 20 years of service but I put on 1400 miles getting back to Idaho and right out of Phoenix is about 10,000 feet of climbing (ups/downs)

Spent the first night onboard in a rest area in Southern UT and found out that AZ diesel bus wasn't used to cold. I had nowhere to plug in. With glow plugs, she'd fire but not stay running. After some anguish, I gave it a quick shot of starter fluid and away we went. Topped out at 7920" of elevation that morning and ran up through UT, ID and MT to Dillon, MT where I had a hotel waiting with a plug for my block heater

Made it home on day 3. The AT543 Tranny did ok despite the hills. Only slowed to 40 on the steepest grades and managed to run at 58-60 pretty well. Downhill was easy-Looks like I may have a transmission brake on the shaft behind the tranny?!

Questions for the group: A loud fan noise would cycle on intermittently on the first warm day. I assume an external transmission fan??
Can the manual throttle control on the dash be used for cruise control, or only engine idle?
Any other cold starting tips? I tried cycling the glow plugs several times as someone suggested here. I have hear starter fluid and glow plug engines don't mix well. Thought?
What RPM should I shoot for cruising at on the highway with this T444E and the AT tranny?
Thanks for all your wisdom!
Chris-
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began"
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:23 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
The throttle stop question I dont know about legally but it was allways ran in my old mans semi successfully. Congrats and good job getting it home.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote