Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
New tires.. all 6 need balanced?

The shop I'm at says it's now point in balancing all 6, only needed on the 2 front. Should I have all 6 balanced? He says come back if I drive it and feel it's needed...? Wish I new what to decide before they started. Don't wanna have to come back

Thanks

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
They make balancing rings/wheels that mount between drums/wheels and dual wheel assemblies.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
They make balancing rings/wheels that mount between drums/wheels and dual wheel assemblies.
these are best as they keep your tires in balance throughout their life and can be used for the next set of tires too. they also make these for driveshafts
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Several options exist and you will hear every opinion possible. There are so many variables that I'm not certain there is a right/wrong or best option.

Some love balance beads (and no balance), some love Centramatic balance rings (and no balance), some don't think any balance is needed, some are happy with a static balance, some think a spin balance is sufficient, some will only accept a Road Force style balance. If you have a bad wheel bearing, bent wheel, or bad tire - it probably won't matter what you do. If you don't want to return, have them spin balance all six. Otherwise; what the tire guy suggested may work out just fine for you. Impossible to know until you try.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
A lot of times there's not much balancing needed on duals anyways because they kind of "balance each other out" if I can put it that way for the sake of brevity. I think it's admirable that your tire shop guy isn't trying to just get as much $$ out of you as possible. I would go ahead and get the steer tires done and only come back if there's some noticeable issue with the rear duals but it's likely you'll never feel it anyways if there is. As far as concerns about longevity, most RV and skoolie tires age out before they wear out so concerns about accelerated wear are usually irrelevant.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
My own experience. Run out (out of round ) on truck tires seems more prevalent than on car tires. This will give you quite a bit of shake.

Out of balance on front discs or drums will also give you wheel shake esp on 19.5” where they spin faster.

I have had balance beads and spin balance both. I don’t think the beads set like they were supposed to. There were times I felt shake , jacked up the wheels and would have obvious out of balance , other times run smoothly, jack up and no obvious out of balance. It changed. So I get all 6 spin balanced although a couple shops told me they don’t usually balance drives on 22.5”, not sure why?

Spin balancing will reveal any bent or out or true on your rim or tire . It can be seen on the machine
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
My tire guy includes spin balance on every tire he sells. He and his family have been tiremen for 40 years and find including the spin balance has considerably reduced comebacks due to uneven wear. He also says it makes rotation a snap as he doesn't have to use his best trained guys for the operation--rotation is also included in price. I always check prices around town just because I'm a cheap b$@*^@$ but his deals are so fair that I stick with him.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
spin if you can....

I have 245 70-19.5 and I very much prefer to have them all spin balanced... I checked run out on my rims before I used them... I have four aluminum rims and six steels to choose from.... The aluminum rims seemed all the same and pretty decent, one of the steels was pretty ugly and got dumped... I picked the best three steels, two to use and one for spare, and four alloys .... Just to shave some weight from the suspension.

seems that sometime the beads dont seem to work very well on 19.5 rims... even the maker of the balancing beads says not recommended.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:24 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
never had my rears balanced before. But I always make sure the fronts are.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #10

Invest in Ballance Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
The shop I'm at says it's now point in balancing all 6, only needed on the 2 front. Should I have all 6 balanced? He says come back if I drive it and feel it's needed...? Wish I new what to decide before they started. Don't wanna have to come back

Thanks
Invest in a Good Quality Set of Balancing Rings now, they'll last for many years and will help to increase the life wear of your tires. In the long run the couple hundred dollars you send now to purchase the Balancing Rings will save you $1,000's But even with that said.

I personally have all my new tires spin balanced when I purchase them and have them mounted as this will show you if you have any bent rims which you will want to replace asap. Afterall what's an extra few dollars for spin balancing? compared to a few $100 or even $1,000's for repair later. Enjoy your freedom while you still can! " Steve the Coffee Bean Nomad " Yes the Coffee is always brewed!
Coffee Bean is offline   Reply With Quote