Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
New to conversions - Questions

Very glad to have found the site! Great info, great community.

I do have a few questions off the bat, that hopefully someone can answer or point me in the direction I need to look.

Browsing RV forums, I noted some people saying that getting insurance (liability etc) is impossible for school bus conversion. How true have you found this to be? Any suggestions?

Is there a place that will show me what the cost ranges are for a rebuilt or new engines? I'm interested in styles like the one on the scoolie.net banner above.

Where do I look for prices on tires?

Is a special license required if the bus is converted to an RV?

Kind regards,

See & clan

Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: New to conversions - Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Seems that GMAC has the most satisfied customers from what I've read. I'm not to the point of insuring yet, but they're more than likely going to be the ones I use. I love insurers
Don't you have to insure/register/tag the bus for the short trip between when you buy it and before you get it to your house? I'm wondering how this is accomplished.
mouse059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: New to conversions - Questions

Here in Virgnia you can buy a trip permit, cost $5 and is good for 3 days, just tape it in the rear window. I set-up insurance with State Farm for that, cost me $38 for the insurance and carried the paper work with me... they informed me 3 weeks later that they could not insure my bus... but by then it had already been transported to where I needed it to go.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote