Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Ward
Engine: Ford 391 V8
Rated Cap: 72
Question Newbie! Anyone know what kind of bus this is?

A little background first I suppose I finally think I found a great deal, but now I might not be too sure. A bus that is about three hours away from me popped up on Craigslist at a great price. Trouble is, the owner is very old and can't remember anything about the bus, so the daughter is selling it, and is not sure what kind of bus it is. She is also recovering the Title from CA, so can't just take it out and look at it. Anyways, I really like to do my research before driving to see it, but don't know where to start. I thought I might try to ask on here. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
0226150832a.jpg  

maggiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
It's not a Bluebird. Pretty sure it's not a Thomas. Owner should be able to tell from ID tags, should be posted inside. What year is it?
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:53 PM   #3
Almost There

She said her dad told her it was a sixty-seven
Old 03-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #4
Almost There

Oh, I found this photo of a bus on here too, looks quite similar. Unfortunately, I think the OP in that thread wasn't sure about his bus either.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...ject-8820.html
Old 03-24-2015, 04:39 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Fort Collins- very nice.
I vacationed there last summer. Heading back this year.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
what kinda bus? careful, it sounds like a bus-scam.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:38 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Ive come across some similar listings. Older folks or their kids selling buses that have been sitting for a long time. Usually they think its worth a lot more than it is.
I wouldn't fool around with it at all till they have a clear title in hand. Ask the seller for pics. Ask them to see the manufacturer plates.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:50 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
That would be a 1967 Superior Super Cruiser, a rare find indeed.

SUPERIOR Coach Company Ohio USA | Myn Transport Blog

A little info on this page.

Looks like mostly they used GMC drive lines, which would make it easy to find parts for if it needs mechanical repair.
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:11 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post

Looks like mostly they used GMC drive lines, which would make it easy to find parts for if it needs mechanical repair.
awesome work, thanks for solving the mystery!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:20 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74
Thats a great link, thanks Outcast. I want a Power Wagon based 4x4 now.
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wauto View Post
Thats a great link, thanks Outcast. I want a Power Wagon based 4x4 now.

I'm a ford man, but for a Power Wagon 4X4 I'll cross the aisle, late 70s model! lol
Old 03-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #12
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post

Nice find!! Thank you so much!
Thanks for the advise as well. We are waiting to hear back from them about the title, they were supposed to get back to me yesterday. The plan is to wait to do anything until they got the title in hand. Also found out that they can't find the key so they will need to get a new "ignition setup", and the battery was stolen out of it when it was in a yard (makes me wonder what else could have been taken off it). And therefore we can't even see if it runs until we buy a battery, fuel, and potentially install a new key-ignition part. ...But, she says it had a new motor put in 6k miles ago! Might not be worth it! Aye yai yai... gonna have to continue my search!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
Skoolie

Check the radiator, not only to make sure it is there, but to make sure it is the right size/thickness. That is one of the most stolen parts from junk yard and school garages because they are worth the most to the recyclers and are easy to get to. Batteries and radiators are the first things to go.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

That is a Superior Type 'D' bus with a front engine that was built sometime in the late '60's.

The chassis was supplied by one of several different vendors with the GMC and IHC being the most common. Oshkosh, National, and a few others also supplied chassis.

If it is the GMC chassis it most likely has the GMC gas V-6 engine with the plugs on top of the head inside the valley. It makes it really easy to do a tune up on a front engine bus when everything is accessible from the top. The most common size was the 401 although the 478 was not unknown. Some came with the diesel version although that was very uncommon.

It is is the IHC chassis if it has an inline 6 it is most likely an RD450/501. If it has a gas V-8 it most likely is an LV478. Or it might actually be an SV345/392. IHC had a diesel option but few ever were made.

The biggest problem with the OEM supplied chassis is finding the correct parts to fix them.

If it is the GMC chassis, good luck. The gas V-6 engines were hard to find parts 30-years ago. I would hate to have to find any parts for them now. The wheel ends would also be a challenge since GM stopped stocking parts for those chassis more than 30-years ago as well.

If it is the IHC chassis some of the parts are still on the shelf. The axles were used across the line and would be the same as those that were used in Loadstar or Fleetstar trucks. IHC still supports a lot of those parts. If it has the RD or LV engines it is very hard to find parts to fix them. If it has an SV engine, those engines were used in Scouts, pick-ups, Loadstars, etc. so there is some aftermarket support for them.

If it has a chassis by any of the other OEM suppliers you will have a very interesting time trying to find any parts that will fit unless you can determine whose parts the OEM supplier used for things like axles, engines, transmissions, and rear gears.

It doesn't have the high roof option for school buses or the high roof option that was found on Air Force buses (you can tell because the roof is flat from front to back) so the ceiling is going to be about 70"-72" high.

If the price is low enough and the bus is nice enough to take a flyer it could be a great deal. But if it won't start, run, and move under it's own power forget about it unless you are willing to transplant a modern power package into it with updated axles for which you know you can get parts.

Good luck and happy trails.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #15
Almost There

Thanks for all your help, guys!

I decided to NOT go with this bus.
Considering it was one thing after another with them, despite them advertising it as running, it just smelled a little fishy, and I went with my gut and the advise I received on here.

We did get a 75 ford/Chevy/ ward though! Runs like a champ with a new fuel pump! Woohoo! (Had to get the partner to drive it home... Still haven't learned how to drive it yet )