Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #1

Newbie from Kansas

Hello,
I've been surfing this forum for a few days now. I've been thinking of getting a school bus for a few years now. I collect antique hit-n-miss engines and go to shows around Kansas. I've been thinking of the best way to go to shows with my engines, and I think a converted bus is the way to go. I've got a 1983 1ton chevy truck that will haul anything I want but it's horrendous on gas mileage (454 with granny-low 4sp)! Also with it's current setup I can't use my slide in camper because of a hoist in the bed. I have a 26' trailer to pull also. I've been thinking to set a bus up with the front half being a rv and the other half being for cargo with some fold up bunks for extra sleeping room. It would require a larger door to load some of my engines, but I think that's do-able. Also it could later be modified into a full rv and just haul all of the engines on the trailer.
I've seen some good ideas on the forum, gotten some ideas that I'd never would of thought of and some things to stay away from/look for. I'm looking and reading about different buses/chassis/engines/tranny and such.
My thoughts on what I want are as follows:
1985-1995
IHC chassis (collect IHC engines/used to drive a 1961 IHC 1/2 ton)
diesel
manual tranny (I've never had any luck with autos)
refrigerator
shower
toilet
stove
gen-set
hardwood floor
back-up camera
hitch
insulation
LED lights
AC
heater
back porch to store spare tire, loading ramps & fuel for my engines

I've got my slide in camper that I doubt would make too many more miles because of dry rot in the walls. I'm thinking of turning it into a donor. It has a gas light. 12v lights, sink, potable water tank (I also have another tank out of another camper) a ice box, table, roof vents, stove. I've also got a small 110v/propane refrig out of another camper.
My tax return should put a big dent in the cost of a used bus. I've got some time to look and work on it. My first engine show would be July 4 weekend. Plenty of time, right?

I'm looking forward to hearing any more ideas/thoughts and reading about other folks and their skoolie projects!

Thanks!
Richard Jensen

meco3hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Newbie from Kansas

Welcome from one Kanasan to another!

Ben.
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

Sounds like you have a need a bus can provide. Welcome! It is nice to have a donor and it sound like you have a nice knowledge base to help you make a great buy as well. I look forward to reading about your journey in finding and building a bus to fit your needs.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Sounds like a plan!

The IH DT466 is the engine to have, and readily available in school buses.

Stick shifts are very hard to find in school buses. Some of us dream of doing swaps with stick shifts out of trucks.

Get a good quality RV toilet. I like my Thetford Aria Classic. The little plastic ones will tick your family off something awful. No house-type toilets in vehicles.

Trailer ball way up high at bumper level, so it does not scrape.

Avoid front engine flat nose -- lousy engine access.

Get busy!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #5

Hello,
Thanks for the welcomes! One questions I have for the folks that have been involved in converting buses is:
What body lends itself to heavy mods? Roof raising, window removing/skinning, moving the doors.

I'm looking at:
AMTran
BlueBird
Thomas
Ward

I'm looking at all of the various mods and keeping my options open.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 01-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
Bus Geek

No big differences between the brands that I'm aware of. They seem to be all built along the same basic methods. You'll be doing a lot of inventing on any of them.

Some models of Carpenter had structural weaknesses in the roof, so some people avoid those.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Ward,Amtran, IC-international is the ownership progression of those busses. As a lifelong mechanic/fabricator I've always thought that having the engine in the livingroom is a bad idea, but as I define my needs and desires closer and get ready to buy a bus the FE Amtran Genisis with a dt466 looks like the bus of choice for my needs(rv/toter). The modern engines are pretty much bullet proof when the recommended maintainence is performed as recommended, and most bus operaters know that with a 12 year expected usable life that the scheduled maintainence is cheap insurance against major repair costs and component failure. (sounds like a sales pitch to me) anyhow I've just about got all of the major homefront projects under control and need to start looking for the right bus

back to your origonal questions, all of the buses and drivelines are good, it's mostly a matter of preference and what is available at your price point.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #8

Smitty,
I've never been there, but it's on my list of places I want to go and show engines. I've got about a dozen big shows across the US that I want to go to. I'm thinking of picking 1 a year and going to that one instead of one of my local ones. Here are some pictures of my display. I've since added some more, that I've not taken to any shows yet.

The corn shellers give the kids hands on experience. Kids these days have no idea what a corn sheller is, let alone how to use it! Also a lot of adults don't know either, even out here in farming territory! I also have a hand powered corn grinder, and a set up with a couple of brace and bits and a board so the kids can drill holes by hand! I also have a collection of jacks. I get a lot of comments about my display and the hands on aspect of it.

This is usually what I start with!

Here's a restored one I got at a auction.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 01-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
Bus Geek

I salute you, Meco3hp, for keeping these endangered Mechanical Arts alive and available for the new generations to learn from!

Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Welcome from another Kansan!!
If you ever make it to Wichita give me a shout!! I'd be proud to show off my bus. Shes ugly on the outside but well done on the inside.
The antique engines I think were part of the inspiration behind my dad building my bus. He used to be into the hit and miss old iron. I still have two of those IHC model LB? engines. A HUGE pile of Maytag stuff and even a Maytag lawnmower. And also there is a maytag twin cylinder light plant.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
Skoolie

heres some pics of my engines
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0512.JPG   IMG_0515.JPG   IMG_0513.JPG  

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
Old 01-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #12

Hello,
I'll have to look you up next time I get to Wichita! I seen 2 of those Maytag lawn mowers like that sell at the auction where I got the Economy XK in my pictures. The LBs are great runners! Do you still go to shows with your engines? Maybe we could have a Skoolie Ralley at my local engine show in Otis Ks, April 23-25 2010!!!! We have plenty of room and plugins(110vac) on Main St. Anybody else think this would be a good idea? I've got a show meeting coming up in a week, but I know this would be a good idea. Friday night starts out with a "Free will" donation Bean feed!(good eatings!) Here is our web site. Under "Events" is the flyer from last years show. (Need to get this years flyer on there)
[urlhttp://www.otisoldirondays.com/][/url]
Check it out!
I could get this setup real easy. Otis is kinda central in the USA. We've got plenty of room for parking. Every light pole has a 110vac plugin. I'd have to check in Otis as to a dump station. Water would be avalible(But no direct hook ups). (LaCrosse Ks. 15 miles away has a dump station, Great Bend Ks. would too.)

Anybody interested? Let me know!

Thanks!
Richard
Old 01-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
Skoolie

I hope our bus will be ready by then! I think that we could make it...that would be fun. I like that old iron stuff. Do they have tractors? I'm an AC fan, personally. I've got a friend or two out here that could make it too...I'll have to check out your website!

Ben.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
Skoolie

Just checked out the site...answered my own question on the tractors...didn't see much Orange. We could change that! My friend has some rare Orange; an iB and a SpeedPatrol. The Patrol is unrestored, but the iB is pristine...and the G, the WD, the WC......
Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #15

Hello,
Sure thing! Bring everybody that'll come! We'd love to have them. One of the founding members of the show had a AC SpeedPatrol. I think it was sold a few years ago at his pre-estate sale. This year we're going to feature all things IHC. Next year I was thinking of featuring Allis Chalmers tractors, and some brand of engines.(I haven't decided which) I'd love to have any and all tractors and engines that would like to come. I think the idea of a Skoolie Ralley would be a cool idea. Maybe be a good chance to show off Skoolies and just what can be done with a old school bus. Maybe a Skoolie open house! The late Mike Smith from Colby used to bring his 20-75 Nichols & Shepard steam engine to the show.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 01-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
Skoolie

I havent shown any of my engines. Years ago my dad built the bus with sort of the intention of mounting several of the engines on a trailer to pull behind to go to shows. But unfortunately the ol' girl only runs 45 mph. And at 45 mph shes SCREAMIN! Dad sort of changed direction with his intrests and got into the Model T thing for a bit and most of the engines got sold off. He passed away 2 years ago and the engines I have are the ones that he never got around to selling. I got the maytag sort of running this past summer and tinkered with the LB a bit and then took the mower apart. I think I really want to try to get the mower running just to see how well it actually mows. Then I will look at the LB again.
Sorry it took me so long to answer back on this thread but I had forgotten where it was and I just now found it again!

IYAAYAS