Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newbie getting first bus.

I'm in the market for a bus to convert and have a few questions:

Why do people get rid of the folding door? It seems that some of the doors people replace the o.e. door with severly restrict the right side view from the drivers seat.

Are International buses with a DT 360 or 366 engine the best choice overall? How about auto vs. manual transmissions? I can get a sweet deal on an auto Intl. with 366 and hyd brakes just taken off of a school run(timed out as it were), so that's why I ask.

Those flat front buses look very motorhome-ish, and the real nice one in the gallery really look the part, but the ones I've seen have the 5.9 cummins, is that a problem engine in these applications?

I'll probably have lots more but thta's it for now.

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:35 PM   #2
Bus Geek

I'd gobble up that bus if the price is right. The DT series are excellent skoolie motors. They run a long time, have decent fuel economy, and are cheap to work on. An entire rebuild kit for the motor is less than $1,000 bucks.

Hydrolic brakes are less than desireable for a skoolie, but plenty of peope get by with them.

The allison auto's seem to be pretty reliable overall. From the buses i've seen, that is the most common trans.

I don't think i would purchase a bus with a 5.9 cummings.

hope this helps !
Old 08-20-2004, 12:19 AM   #3
Bus Nut

The Cummins 5.9 seems to do great in dodge pickups but in school buses it does not hold up very well. Depending on how many miles it has I would avoid it. The Navistar DTA360 is a good strong reliable engine. Just make sure it is not worn out. I would not buy a bus with an Allison AT545 tranny the MT643 is much better. The MT643 is heavier duty and much more reliable. If the bus has a carpenter body think twice. Some of the carpenters have failing welds in the body.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote