Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Goshen
Engine: 350
newbie getting ready to buy e-350 goshen - gas

My husband and I are getting ready to buy an e-350 goshen, gas. It is 16-18 feet long. It has 224,000 miles on it. I am planning to take it to my mechanic tomorrow for him to look at but I already know he is a diesel man.

There are some diesels available that have less miles on them but they are longer and I am not as comfortable driving them plus I can't park as easily in the middle of town.

Can anyone here give me some thoughts/advice on this bus? I just found this site and it looks like you all do exactly what we are looking to do. I have already got some really great ideas here for conversions. Any info would be helpful.

granolaeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: newbie getting ready to buy e-350 goshen - gas

i'm a Goshen guy. what year is your rig? i'm a 1990 and i'm kinda in the limbo area from when Thor industries took over Goshen. One thing I have found out is to find out what size of bus door you have! I have the 32" door and its discontinued and cannot find parts for it!!

as for miles, Id look to see if its had a new motor or new transmission put in it. 350k kms on it is quite a bit imo but if its mechanically sound then cant be bad right?

Another thing to look for is leaks in the body itself. look around windows, seams etc for leaks and evidence of leaks.

Check under the bus body and the rear wheel wells to look for signs of rotting floor etc. mine is nice and clean luckily!

Take it for a test drive! even if its around the block or in a compound mash the loud pedal down and then hit the binders and make sure the bus drives right!

also, Pictures!!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the input!! I had forgot about checking the floor. It is a 2003. My neighbor ( a truck driver) also does not think the high mileage is a problem but he told me to get a compression test done so we will do that this morning when we drive it to the mechanic to get it checked out.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

It is the size of the vehicle. The size that is available to me right now is gas - the diesels that are available are a bit too long for my liking. I want to be able to park in a normal size parking spot in the middle of town. We do not plan to tow or take any other mode of trans with us other than bicycles.

I am sure there are plenty of other, lower priced, lower mileage vehicles around but these are convenient for me to get to my mechanic to inspect before I buy.

We drove the 350 to the mechanic this morning. Liked the way it drove, stomped the gas and brakes a few times and took a few hard turns. Seemed to handle and drive really well. The AC will quickly freeze right out of the bus and there are two heating systems. I'm told that one of them can be run indepantly of the engine. (not my area of expertise) According to service records and posters in the bus it was in service here in town until at least January of this year. They recieved money for new buses so there are several of these available for sale at various local dealers.

My mechanic gave us a reasonable laundry list of things that need to be done now, some that should be done later, but overall gave it a thumbs up. Soooo, it looks like I will be figuring out how to take possesion of 'nameless' on Monday morning. I have an idea for a name but I am not sure hubby will go along with it.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

sounds good if the mechanic gave it a thumbs up!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

That sounds like a 5.4 V8 or a 6.8 V10 (the E350 could have either). 225K isn't much...both are easy 300,000+ milers with even minimal care. Use 5W-20 oil, change it at 5K miles, it will easily double the mileage.

FYI: I think that Ford used Mercon V ATF by 2003. You MUST confirm the type of ATF needed and you MUST not mix Dexron-Mercon with Mercon V!

Does it have dual tires in back?
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

ya some solid info would be nice to hear. motor size, chassis is obviously stated a 350, is it a dually or a single rear wheel? how many passenger? and can we have pictures?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Wow, you guys are a wealth of information. As soon as I take possession I will post pics and lots of details. I am hoping you guys will pick it apart. I doubt the average Joe would know details such as what ATF to use.

When she gets home I will start a new post. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

awesome! I look forward to it!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolaeeter
Wow, you guys are a wealth of information. As soon as I take possession I will post pics and lots of details. I am hoping you guys will pick it apart. I doubt the average Joe would know details such as what ATF to use.

When she gets home I will start a new post. Thanks!
It MIGHT say it on the dipstick.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote