Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #1

Newbie needs help!

Hello! As the title states- I am a newbie, but frequent lurker and I am in the market for my first bus. I know absolutely nothing about buses- but, have been feverishly researching for several weeks. We are currently planning a cross country move and figured since it would cost us a good 3k if not more on just the price of a uhaul- we might as well kill two birds with one stone and try find something we can use as a uhaul conversion project combo. Two bucket list goals as one anyway- apart from needing any and all advice I can get- I have a question about a listing I saw on Craigslist. Seems to good to be true but, thought perhaps I could see if anyone here had any insight. Cheap cheap- but, anything involving the words fuel, problem, unknown seems scary. But- he is open to offers it seems and wasn't sure if this would be a potential score or an ultimate headache.
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/5157221075.html

Thanks in advance for anyone out there who wants to help school me on skoolies

iammine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
This right here
Quote:
Unknown fuel problem.
makes me extremely leery

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #3

Same. i didn't know if the low cost of the bus would be worth a fix- but, yeah.. Too much risk.

Where are you in NJ if you don't mind me asking. Any suggestions on local scores?
Old 08-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
AC Area. Your best bet is call around to the local bus services (except First Student) and see what's going to auction. Craigslist and Fleabay can be hit or miss.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #5

We are close. I'm between AC and LBI. I'll try to find some places to call around to.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 78 passenger
These have a somewhat common lift pump issue. When it goes bad, it'll starve the injector pump and make it hard to start, run poorly, etc. It will eventually wipe the injector pump, but not as quickly as the Cummins 5.9. Not sure what the lift pump costs, but I'm sure it's much less than the injector pump.

If it's the injector pump, it'll be dead, period. Plan on spending some cash at that point.

$1000 is a great price, $700 is even better if the seller is open to negotiation, but are you willing to gamble that on the ease of repairs? 75k on the odometer would tempt me to dig deeper. If the odo is original, it might be worth the risk.

Keep in mind, the 6.5's aren't the most enduring engines. They tend to get sold for structural failures (cracked block, webs, heads, starter block) more often than old age. When they're on, they make decent power, are economical at the fuel station, etc.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

A thread I shared with someone else regarding the 6.5 this morning: Is the 6.5l a good engine? - Diesel Bombers
Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
IMO

It's not worth owning any bus that don't have a Cummins, or a DT engine.

Why own a pile of $hit when you can own the best?

It's like settling for a ugly woman vs waiting for a beautiful one.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #8

Well- I inquired about whether or not the bus has been to a mechanic about the issue. No reply. Seemed odd that he would just settle for an "unknown" issue and sell so low, with not even bothering to get it looked at by a professional. Ah well. I knew it was too good to be true, but I am in that Verucca Salt "But, I want it nooooowwwwww" mode.

Its all just so overwhelming for someone who knows nothing about anything with an engine, let alone a friggen school bus. I try to research but, its like trying to read something in another language. Did everyone have this haunting cluelessness in the beginning?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #9
Bus Geek

No, I learned about Cummins engines long before I owed a bus.

Then I made sure my first bus had a Cummins and a manual trans.

That's why you should read and research all you can about specific engine and trans combo's before trying to buy a bus. If you can't work on it and fix it, IMO you have no business owning it.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 08-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
No, I learned about Cummins engines long before I owed a bus.

Then I made sure my first bus had a Cummins and a manual trans.

That's why you should read and research all you can about specific engine and trans combo's before trying to buy a bus. If you can't work on it and fix it, IMO you have no business owning it.

Nat

I don't disagree- I am saying it's overwhelming to even start researching. It's a lot of take in from a completely clueless as far as vehicle component, combo, maintenance, quality etc etc knowledge standpoint. I know it's exactly what I want. I feel a dedication I have never quite felt before.. And yet a simultaneous feeling of being completely lost!
Old 08-16-2015, 01:47 AM   #11
Bus Geek

I agree with the overwhelming part.

Years ago I would read till I could not understand anymore. I would go to bed, wake up feeling refreshed, and sometimes read the same thing again, still trying to wrap my head around it. Sometimes after days and days of reading and trying new search words, things would start to make sense.

The great thing about Cummins engines is they are the most talked about, and most tweaked engine on the internet.

Many many sites are dedicated to just that engine alone.

Everything else on a bus is just more parts. Break them down individually and start the searching. In time it will all make sense.

Sometimes the research and leaning is the best, least messy part.

Nat