Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newbie -- purchase advice

Howdy.

I'm in the very beginning stages of scratching an itch, so to speak, but in reality I have no idea what I'm doing yet, or which direction I'm going to go. I've spent hours already reading all kinds of stuff on this site, and looking at all the pictures, and the more I do, the more I'm hooked. Very cool stuff.

I'm sure I'll have all kinds of dumb / novice / already asked questions, but for now I wanted to get an opinion on a vehicle. I know enough about vehicle mechanics to be familiar with the drivetrains of most of the van chassis based vehicles from Ford & GM (460's, 350's, & other van based busses). Once I get to something bigger, I'm lost.

With that in mind, I wanted an opinion on this: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1852048454.html

The ad is due to expire in a couple days, so if you can't find it, it's a AmTran 30' (google pic search "amtran genesis"), 16+2 passenger, under 100k miles, and he thinks it's got a DT266 engine. He's asking $1000.

So, questions....

What's the designation "16+2"? Why isn't it just an 18 passenger?

I can't find anything on a DT266. The only thing close is a DT466. I'm guessing he posted wrong? I know nothing of this motor. Can someone enlighten me as to reliability, longevity, any specific issues that are common, fuel efficiency, ease of owner maintenance, and anything else you might know that I forgot to ask about?

Is there any particular advange or disadvantage to a front engine layout in a flat nose bus? It seems to me that the front area is pretty much dead space anyway, with the operational controls and stairs, so why not have the engine there instead of the back, right? Refer to above though, where I mention that I have no idea what I'm doing.

The seller doesn't list the year, but it's got to be a '90-something. Would $1000 be reasonable for something like this?

Any thoughts appreciated, and thank you in advance.

mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Newbie -- purchase advice

I would guess 16+2 means 16 seats + 2 wheels chairs.
For $1000-I'd say that a good deal.-Whos knows-maybe the guy selling isn't computer savy-and his kid/wife/secretary wrote the ad just copied what he said. Go look at them with cash in hand. Craigslist is full of amatuer sellers-If I never responded to ads with mis-spelt words or errors, I'd never have bought a thing!

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

I second what sdwarf said. It's worth a look into, because if there's a chance you can get that bus for a grand, and it has a DT466, then you're getting yourself a great deal even if it doesn't have a trans. - which is unlikely, I'm just saying.
A DT466 with under a 100K is worth a good deal more than $1000.
And of course, as Smitty said, it could be a total scam- just out to steal your email identity, or worse.
I sell a lot of stuff on CL, and I'd say the majority of people- both sellers and buyers- are total flakes. These computers have helped a lot of people to forget their manners and the basic respect that's given when you're looking someone in the eyes.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I suggest anyone who uses CL to create a disposable email address because CL mostly serves the email address harvesters.
I have 4 e-mail accounts, all used for different purposes, and none have my name attached to them. It helps me identify spam, as well as seperating my activities. I use one just for forums and CL, one for friends and work, and so on.

I sent the guy an e'mail a few days ago, and haven't heard back. Not a good sign. On the other hand, I haven't gotten any new spam either. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the input.
mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Months of searching I've gotten used to people that are slow to respond or respond only ONCE a week, making it damn near impossible to get out to see a bus, complete a deal. grrr
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Wow, this is the same guy I bought my bus from...

He has one left, just posted it again on CL...

I've seen it, it's identical to mine and I've heard it run...

If you're still looking for a short bus, I'd jump on this...

Here's the new ad...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1868897360.html
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote