Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
[emoji849]

Old 07-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdillon1960 View Post
And if you don't like what I have to say...tough! This gentleman needs to know some things can kill him and others. Gas tanks are 1 of them. It was not snarky and I wish him the best but he needs to get a professional mechanic to teach him the lethal parts his bus. Til he gets that professional training he really does need stop before he gets hurt.

[emoji849] another keyboard expert.
I commend the original post for asking before doing anything to it.
Good luck -
Old 07-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #23

Hey a Smart man asks questions
Not every newbie is as mechanically inclined as yall Skollie Pros, but soon you will be

Might I sugest watching CDL test videos on youtube, the bus inspection videos are great for newbies.

https://youtu.be/YBWCLEKnGUw
Old 07-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Well this thread got exciting!

Thanks to all who said shared what it is, and the tip to put sealant back over the metal cap.

Yes... I probably could have just walked outside the bus and taken a look at the side of the bus... except my bus is parked right up next to a bunch of poison oak and I honstly didn't think about it -- I saw it inside the bus, thought it seemed like something I shouldnt cut, and though "hey, I'll just post a picture real quickly to all those nice people on Skoolie.net -- they will tell me in 2 seconds what it is."

Yeah, in retrospect I could have just gone outside and figured it out in two seconds. I've never gutted a vehicle so excuse my ignorance, but I'm not about to cut through something I don't know what it is -- I'm aware there are dangers to doing something like this. I'm not putting my tools down, I'm asking for help when I need it.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
I had the same question a year ago. Now I feel like an old hand at this because someone was nice enough to explain what that is. Cars don't have anything like that and I had only driven cars before getting my shuttle bus.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #26

Year: 1997
Chassis: Shuttle
Engine: Triton
Rated Cap: 28 seater
If we posted an answer right away instead of having snarkolots, this forum may not have 42,000 pages of replies.
How boring it might be. LOL

ps: This probably should not have been my first post.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
The old farts seem to forget that they too started out as newbies at some point and didn't know nuthin either. Don't let it get you discouraged and certainly ask first if not sure.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
The old farts seem to forget that they too started out as newbies at some point and didn't know nuthin either. Don't let it get you discouraged and certainly ask first if not sure.
When I first learned about cars I learned where the key went to start it and where the gas went. At the time I discovered that I did not jump up and say wow, lets build a home inside a bus. I may have been a bit short with the OP, but I honestly think people can have enthusiasm and get in way over their head before they know it. I'm still concerned that a person who owns a vehicle and doesn't even know where the gas goes or what the gas spout looks like, is in for a seriously rude awakening and it will be in the classifieds like 100 others whos "Life plans changed" as soon as they got in over their head. If it were not for my decades of experience building homes, race cars, motorcycles, etc. and had the skills and tools to accomplish this, a Skoolie build is not something I would endeavor. Too many people in the world ready to pat you on the back and say go for it, no matter how unwise that may be.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
When I first learned about cars I learned where the key went to start it and where the gas went..
Last night I relocated my dad’s 35 foot motorhome while pulling a pickup truck. I must have walked around that thing for 20 minutes at the gas station looking for the gas cap before I realized that it was behind the license plate. People were definitely looking.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
As pointed out by a few, there are some safety issues with jumping in and tearing it up before you have some basic understanding of what you are working with. Know where your fuel is. Know where your power/battery cables are. Its a good idea to disconnect the batteries befored disassembling anything with wires. You don't want to be making sparks around the fuel tank, filler tube or vents.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Last night I relocated my dad’s 35 foot motorhome while pulling a pickup truck. I must have walked around that thing for 20 minutes at the gas station looking for the gas cap before I realized that it was behind the license plate. People were definitely looking.
Behind the plate was quite popular in the 70's. My dad had a 70 Toyota Corolla that the gas fill was behind decorative trim on the rear window post, no markings that it was gas fill. Guys at the gas station would walk around looking for it til they go "Oh, behind the license plate" and proceed to try and tear off the tag. It was amusing.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #33
Skoolie

I agree with snarky marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I stand by my OP.
There's nothing wrong with asking questions, and to the OP's credit, he DID ask before getting too carried away.

But, in my (not so humble) opinion, not knowing what to expect when you start cutting on any motor vehicle is a recipe for disaster! There are fuel, hydraulic, and electrical systems that need to be considered before even getting started on any project, and that fact really ought to be obvious.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:39 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGarden View Post
Amen, brother!

Quote:
... except my bus is parked right up next to a bunch of poison oak

Be careful with that poison oak. The URUSH oil can and will be transferred to most anything and have the same effect as the plant itself. Washing the surfaces that come in contact with the plant with a soapy water solution (like Dawn and water) will wash off the oil.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:14 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Its a good idea to disconnect the batteries befored disassembling anything with wires. You don't want to be making sparks around the fuel tank, filler tube or vents.
THIS!! ^^^
Is good solid advice for a newbie like myself [emoji6]
Old 07-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Perhaps there should be a dedicated pinned thread or document "important safety information for new folks" ?
Old 07-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
After building out my bus, I often compared myself to a brain surgeon.

It's hard for those new to building out a Skoolie on this forum - when some people who may or may not have actually completed a bus build are so critical.
It's one thing to be "forum smart" and "google smart" versus learning by doing. It's okay for someone with no experience to take on building a skoolie.

It should be okay for people to ask questions and get encouraging responses - even for things that some think are obvious. They should not be made to feel like they are idiots - or discouraged from asking questions - or discouraged from trying to follow a dream.

It's also okay not to respond to a post if you feel you can't be helpful. Posting just to make yourself feel better is not always helping others.

Play nice and don't be that guy.

I pretty much agree with you but............I don't think he was talking about "experience", I think he was talking about what some refer to as "common sense".

"Posting just to make yourself feel better is not always helping others. " That sounds exactly like what you are doing.

I guess you are alright with a bus blowing up, killing people, because someone didn't have the common sense to recognize something as obvious as a gas filler before they started just tearing into stuff.

If you really think that the ability to build out a bus is comparable to a brain surgeon, I hope that you did not make any structural changes.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Quote:

Thanks to all who said shared what it is, and the tip to put sealant back over the metal cap.

Yes... I probably could have just walked outside the bus and taken a look at the side of the bus... except my bus is parked right up next to a bunch of poison oak and I honstly didn't think about it -- I saw it inside the bus, thought it seemed like something I shouldnt cut, and though "hey, I'll just post a picture real quickly to all those nice people on Skoolie.net -- they will tell me in 2 seconds what it is."

Yeah, in retrospect I could have just gone outside and figured it out in two seconds. I've never gutted a vehicle so excuse my ignorance, but I'm not about to cut through something I don't know what it is -- I'm aware there are dangers to doing something like this. I'm not putting my tools down, I'm asking for help when I need it.

Many years ago when you asked for help on a bulletin board, usergroup/ newsgroup, and later/now, forums (after the internet came around) you might get back an "RTFM" (read the f... manual) message when you asked a question where the answer was easily found or obvious and they thought that the person was just being lazy. Now, I realize that there is no manual for building a schoolie, but you should realize that real people are answering your questions and you are asking them to take their time to answer your questions. You should be prepared to not always like their answers and for not all answers to be correct. What if he said "just look on the other side of the wall". Would you have been smart enough to open the window and look then? What if he had said "oh, that's just a couple of hoses that go to the heater from the engine hot water, cut them out. It is easier done with a torch." Would you have taken the time to look/think then? It was not your "ignorance" that marc1 was referring to.

Your OP was the right move in the sense that you asked before going any further.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
After building out my bus, I often compared myself to a brain surgeon.

It's hard for those new to building out a Skoolie on this forum - when some people who may or may not have actually completed a bus build are so critical.
It's one thing to be "forum smart" and "google smart" versus learning by doing. It's okay for someone with no experience to take on building a skoolie.

It should be okay for people to ask questions and get encouraging responses - even for things that some think are obvious. They should not be made to feel like they are idiots - or discouraged from asking questions - or discouraged from trying to follow a dream.

It's also okay not to respond to a post if you feel you can't be helpful. Posting just to make yourself feel better is not always helping others.

Play nice and don't be that guy.

So... how was your post helpful? This was the most critical, self righteous post that have seen on this forum.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Thanks for your opinion. I am sure that it is intended to do exactly what mine was intended to do.

My whole point was that a person should be able to post something - get information, and not be told to give up. After all - many, if not most, people here are not "school bus conversion professionals" - I did not see a risk of the person's Original Post leading to him blowing up. Nor did it appear that he was going to take a saw or blow torch to the fuel line.
He saw something and asked about it - I am sure if he took more time to look into it - he would have figured it out. If he posted that he was about to cut this thing open - I likely would have agreed with the immediate response to get a different hobby.

The inside of a bus is a big place - and it does seem strange to run a fuel line through the interior like that (though I have seen buses like that). To me, It was a valid question.

Many people with simple questions that seem "ignorant" go on to build very nice safe buses - after all, we learn by asking. I am more at risk of being run-off the road and blow up by a distracted and / or careless driver than from being blown up because someone asked a question so that he did not do anything wrong.

Just because someone asks something does not mean they don't know anything. Assuming that is pretty ignorant.

But, again, I was trying to let the original post know that it was okay to ask his question - and I was criticizing a rude remark.

But - you clearly have a different opinion, and that's okay. I appreciate the criticism of my criticizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
So... how was your post helpful? This was the most critical, self righteous post that have seen on this forum.