Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newbie Question -- What's This?

What's this? It had a metal cover and only on one side of the bus...
Attached Thumbnails
unknown.jpg  

Old 07-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Looks like the gas fill spout. If it is, stop what you're doing, put down your tools, find another hobby.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
That's the fuel filler neck. Do NOT cut it at all!!!!! Clean around it, and put the cover back on! Label the cover inside: "DO NOT REMOVE OR CUT". PLEASE be safe!!!!!!

M
Old 07-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Make sure you use some sort of sealant or gasket maker when you out the metal case back on. No need to get extra fumes
Old 07-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Yup, yup, and yup...
Old 07-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Not to belabor the point, but had you looked at the other side of the wall..?
Old 07-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Looks like the gas fill spout. If it is, stop what you're doing, put down your tools, find another hobby.
Why? This is a legitimate question for so many newbs who dive into something new.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Why? This is a legitimate question for so many newbs who dive into something new.
You ask why? I was completely serious. If you don't have the common sense to know where to put fuel in your vehicle with a, probably, fuel designation on the outside cap. And with the cover off you can see the tank IF YOU LOOK. If you can't figure out these basic things a bus build is way over their skill level and they may be wasting their time or possible hurt themselves. I'm all for noobs wanting to dive into the deep end, but you should know if there's water in it first. If you want to be a brain surgeon, your first day of class is not in an operating room with a patient and a scalpel in your hand.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:38 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
After building out my bus, I often compared myself to a brain surgeon.

It's hard for those new to building out a Skoolie on this forum - when some people who may or may not have actually completed a bus build are so critical.
It's one thing to be "forum smart" and "google smart" versus learning by doing. It's okay for someone with no experience to take on building a skoolie.

It should be okay for people to ask questions and get encouraging responses - even for things that some think are obvious. They should not be made to feel like they are idiots - or discouraged from asking questions - or discouraged from trying to follow a dream.

It's also okay not to respond to a post if you feel you can't be helpful. Posting just to make yourself feel better is not always helping others.

Play nice and don't be that guy.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post

It's hard for those new to building out a Skoolie on this forum - when some people who may or may not have actually completed a bus build are so critical.
It's one thing to be "forum smart" and "google smart" versus learning by doing. It's okay for someone with no experience to take on building a skoolie.

It should be okay for people to ask questions and get encouraging responses - even for things that some think are obvious. They should not be made to feel like they are idiots - or discouraged from asking questions - or discouraged from trying to follow a dream.

It's also okay not to respond to a post if you feel you can't be helpful. Posting just to make yourself feel better is not always helping others.

I second that motion.....

M
Old 07-05-2019, 09:57 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Bravo, sir! Well said.
You've put me in mind of two adages on communication:
The first being, "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all."
Followed by,
Quote:

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought an ass, than to open it and remove any lingering doubt."
Old 07-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Well, I agree with all of you and would like to leave this one, right over here...

Dr. Raymond Stantz : Hey... Where these stairs go?

Dr. Peter Venkman : They go up!
Old 07-05-2019, 10:18 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Like this?:

Old 07-05-2019, 11:31 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:

While I may not have ever completed building a bus, I have 50 years of experience building motorcycles, race cars, and a 15 year stint building residential homes. Without experience in all those fields there is no way i would take on a project as substantial as a bus build. I'm sorry if I'm being blunt, But the first 2 things I learned about cars was where the key went and where the gas goes. I was just picturing another CL sale of a half finished skoolie because the builder bit off more than they can chew.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:15 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is sometimes difficult to understand that not everyone is the same. Your experience may work for you. That's great. That does not mean that everyone needs your experience to accomplish what they want to do.
I know a lot of people with very nice skoolies who did not know the first thing about building a skoolie before they started, but they built their home on wheels - and they did it by asking questions, getting help, and not giving up because people criticized or tried to ridicule them.

Some people just hire others to build their skoolie - and some buy a completed skoolie. There is nothing wrong with those people.

I know some people who know pretty much all there is to know about building a bus, and can troubleshoot electrical issues and plumbing, they can do all the carpentry needed, pretty much rebuild the entire engine, and much more, and they help others learn.

I try to avoid dealing with people who spend so much time trying to find flaws in what others are doing and criticize instead of helping so that they can feel better about themselves. There is something not right about those people - but thankfully I have not met people like that in my travels - only online (so if I've ever met you - know that you are not one of those people!)

I just get tired of reading all the stupid. So I am on here less and less.

But that's just my opinion.

Note: I think that is a silly place for the fuel intake line - but I didn't design the bus. Mine is all under the floor level - My fuel cap is right on the fuel tank. Just because I think that is a silly place to run a fuel line - doesn't mean I think the bus manufacture should give up and start making bicycles or teddy bears. They may have a reason that I just don't understand. I still think it is in a silly spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
While I may not have ever completed building a bus, I have 50 years of experience building motorcycles, race cars, and a 15 year stint building residential homes. Without experience in all those fields there is no way i would take on a project as substantial as a bus build. I'm sorry if I'm being blunt, But the first 2 things I learned about cars was where the key went and where the gas goes. I was just picturing another CL sale of a half finished skoolie because the builder bit off more than they can chew.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:12 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I am the owner of Geo Metro Forum and we have new people joining all the time and asking questions that may seem "stupid" to some of us, but we still respond nicely even if the same question is asked almost weekly. Being rude drives members away.

I have members including women who have never worked on an engine and learned to do a ring and valve job on the Suzuki G10 3 cylinder engine with the help from members and reading guides on the site and still driving the car that they rebuilt the engine to this day.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Not so much. This question illustrates a lack of knowledge (Ignorance) so deep that you can kill yourself or others. Things like...don't play with your gas tank, don't cut your brake lines, don't route battery cables where they can abrade all come to mind.

Not sure if it is ignorance or laziness that you could not figure out what that was. You really couldn't look over the window frame and figure it out?

While the other guy's response was snarky, it made a hard point. IF you could not figure it out, stop what you are doing and get professional help. We do not want to find out later that you burned off half your face, or died.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is sometimes difficult to understand that not everyone is the same. Your experience may work for you. That's great. That does not mean that everyone needs your experience to accomplish what they want to do.
I know a lot of people with very nice skoolies who did not know the first thing about building a skoolie before they started, but they built their home on wheels - and they did it by asking questions, getting help, and not giving up because people criticized or tried to ridicule them.

Some people just hire others to build their skoolie - and some buy a completed skoolie. There is nothing wrong with those people.

I know some people who know pretty much all there is to know about building a bus, and can troubleshoot electrical issues and plumbing, they can do all the carpentry needed, pretty much rebuild the entire engine, and much more, and they help others learn.

I try to avoid dealing with people who spend so much time trying to find flaws in what others are doing and criticize instead of helping so that they can feel better about themselves. There is something not right about those people - but thankfully I have not met people like that in my travels - only online (so if I've ever met you - know that you are not one of those people!)

I just get tired of reading all the stupid. So I am on here less and less.

But that's just my opinion.

Note: I think that is a silly place for the fuel intake line - but I didn't design the bus. Mine is all under the floor level - My fuel cap is right on the fuel tank. Just because I think that is a silly place to run a fuel line - doesn't mean I think the bus manufacture should give up and start making bicycles or teddy bears. They may have a reason that I just don't understand. I still think it is in a silly spot.

And if you don't like what I have to say...tough! This gentleman needs to know some things can kill him and others. Gas tanks are 1 of them. It was not snarky and I wish him the best but he needs to get a professional mechanic to teach him the lethal parts his bus. Til he gets that professional training he really does need stop before he gets hurt.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdillon1960 View Post
Not so much. This question illustrates a lack of knowledge (Ignorance) so deep that you can kill yourself or others. Things like...don't play with your gas tank, don't cut your brake lines, don't route battery cables where they can abrade all come to mind.

Not sure if it is ignorance or laziness that you could not figure out what that was. You really couldn't look over the window frame and figure it out?

While the other guy's response was snarky, it made a hard point. IF you could not figure it out, stop what you are doing and get professional help. We do not want to find out later that you burned off half your face, or died.

I stand by my OP.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
It really is hard sometimes to "talk" online to the point where everyone's points are made and fully understood in their proper context, and where nobody is offended or outright pissed off at certain comments or suggestions perceived as derogatory or outright negative.

Voice inflection is a critical point in having a civil conversation, which unfortunately is simply not possible in written text format.

My point is, I truly believe that nobody is purposely gunning for a fight on here, hopefully. Most of us want solid information whether good, bad, or indifferent when it comes to pointers on buying, converting, or building a bus.

Suggestions given by anyone are merely opinions based on personal experience. There are things involved in tearing down and rebuilding a bus that can potentially hurt, permanently injure/maim, or worst case scenario, kill if not performed safely and or correctly.

Bottom line, one must have a tolerance or understanding for differences in the ways people in general communicate or say things. Extremely difficult at times.
Water off a ducks backside comes to mind for even the most offensive or gnarly suggestions or comments.

Hopefully our OP is still with us, and has an understanding that nobody is personally attacking him/her for simply asking a question...
Closed Thread