Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Re: Newbie questions about my build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDaniels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj
Regarding you window screen question, John Van Slatt made his with old hard drive magnets to stick them up on the outside over the windows

http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-body.shtml
Awesome! Thanks for that suggestion, that really looks like a good option to me.
If you can't find enough hard drives, Magnets4Less.com has Neodymium Nametag holders, as well as other magnet types, and fairly reasonable.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #22
Almost There

Year: 2000

thanks for that link too!

New question for people: I have one floor heater in the bus that I plan on keeping for heat while driving. As for my floor plan would it make sense or be okay to install the propane furnace above that floor heater? Would this be problematic for any reasons? I haven't found anyone talking about this, but location wise it makes the most sense to me.
PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:

New question for people: I have one floor heater in the bus that I plan on keeping for heat while driving. As for my floor plan would it make sense or be okay to install the propane furnace above that floor heater? Would this be problematic for any reasons? I haven't found anyone talking about this, but location wise it makes the most sense to me.
Seems fine to me.

All that's in a floor heater is a big heater core, some tin, and a few real noisy 12 volt fans.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #24
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Quote:

Seems fine to me.

All that's in a floor heater is a big heater core, some tin, and a few real noisy 12 volt fans.

Nat
awesome, that really simplifies the floor plan IMO. Thanks again Nat…

I know I mentioned starting a build topic and sharing more photos, but ever since getting the seats out, some of the screws running along the length of the bus on the floor heater cover are just not coming out! So I'm about a day behind where I'd like to be.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Seems fine to me.

Nat

I know I mentioned starting a build topic and sharing more photos, but ever since getting the seats out, some of the screws

running along the length of the bus on the floor heater cover are just not coming out! So I'm about a day behind where I'd like to be.
I'm 4 months behind where I wanted to be
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
Quote:

I know I mentioned starting a build topic and sharing more photos, but ever since getting the seats out, some of the screws

running along the length of the bus on the floor heater cover are just not coming out! So I'm about a day behind where I'd like to be.
I'm 4 months behind where I wanted to be
I'm 2.5 years behind.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 04-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #27
Almost There

haha guys, well if I wanted to get technical, I'm around 8 months behind where I'd like to be. My immediate plans are at least to fix all the rust and get the flooring and wall/floor insulation in. If that's all I get done this spring/summer, I'll be okay with that… (I hope)
Old 04-23-2014, 02:12 AM   #28
Almost There

Finally got the vast majority of the screws out by using an angle grinder to cut flat head strips in the really rusted or stuck screws. Going to start pulling out the flooring Wednesday afternoon!

Still don't have a rust converter to use yet, so I'm hoping the interior metal floor is in decent condition for now.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

what I did for my passenger seat was weld a longer base plate on the base, bolted the sliding seat rails to it, it added about 4 more inchs, and is almost even with the drivers seats, makes traveling much more enjoyable when your passenger is beside you, and if they piss you off, you just open the door push them out
gbstewart
Old 04-24-2014, 01:23 AM   #30
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
what I did for my passenger seat was weld a longer base plate on the base, bolted the sliding seat rails to it, it added about 4 more inchs, and is almost even with the drivers seats, makes traveling much more enjoyable when your passenger is beside you, and if they piss you off, you just open the door push them out
gbstewart
The pushing them out option is a great idea! I was considering installing an ejector seat, so pushing them out will save me lots of $$$!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 36

Back to the toilet thing...I agree with Nat. The bucket toilet thing might seem gross at first, but check out the Humanure website, or some of the Tiny House websites, and they are becoming really common. I built one for my basement before making one for my bus, just so I could make sure it really didn't smell bad before having it in an enclosed space, and it works just fine. You can build a nice looking box to hold the bucket. I use a mix of pine shavings and peat moss in mine. It's easy enough to try using a bucket toilet inside the house in a closet or basement for awhile to see if it will work for you.

Window screens: I built screens for two of my windows. They have wood frames and fit over the top half of the window inside and are hinged at the bottom, with a latch at the top, so you can fold down the screen, lower the window, then fold the screen back up and latch it. Another option for cheapo temporary screens while parked is to cut a rectangle of mesh fabric and stick it over the window with magnets.
Kathy WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:33 AM   #32
Almost There

Thanks Kathy, I will take a look at your build to see if there are photos of the screens!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E

The bucket thing is great. We use sawdust, pine. Your toilet at home smells worse than this does. Like Nat said, we put trash bags in first so its easy to dispose of. If anyone has to do anything serious during the day, we just make a stop. We're always stopping for something or another anyways.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:08 AM   #34
Almost There

You guys are almost making me want to consider it haha
Old 04-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #35
Bus Crazy

well here my take on bathrooms, the bucket thing works,(or as I like to call them litter boxes) and is a cheap and easy to do, but for me and my family wasn't going to happen. I put in a nice sea land toilet,makes the just like home feeling. it wasn't no big to deal install, the tank is right below the toilet, have the reg rv drain system, no big deal ,drain black tank then grey, stay hooked up at a camp ground, or boondock, a bathroom with a family is very important, and makes using your home on wheels much more enjoyable. I'm not a big fan of the shower\toilet combo, always seem to have a wet floor when you go to use the bathroom. This is just me thinking out loud and is just what I learned after spending many trips and nites it our bus, and all the other rvs I owned
gbstewart
Old 04-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #36
Bus Geek

I'm glad I didn't waste $1800 on a composting toilet.

I grew up with a out house, so the bucket toilet is fine with me. When ever the wood stove is going, the bagged poop package go's strait into the stove. After about 5 min, the waste is completely incinerated without smell. Incinerating sterilizes all pathogens and germs, and keeps the human waste out of the garbage system.

I'm a guy, so when I can't pee on a tree due to too over population, a urine collection jug is just fine. Works great later for pouring into ant nest's, cop car seats, ect. As long as you dump it daily and rinse the jug out, there is no smell.

Thx to all the folks that have shared their experiences here. This can be a shitty topic, that sometimes folks have a hard time talking about.

Nat

Old 04-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher

Quote:

I grew up with a out house, so the bucket toilet is fine with me. When ever the wood stove is going, the bagged poop package go's strait into the stove. After about 5 min, the waste is completely incinerated without smell. Incinerating sterilizes all pathogens and germs, and keeps the human waste out of the garbage system.

Thx to all the folks that have shared their experiences here. This can be a shitty topic, that sometimes folks have a hard time talking about.

Nat
We had a 2 holer No really we did
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
Quote:

Nat
We had a 2 holer No really we did
So did we. One small hole, and one big hole.

You realy know you are a tight family when you can both sit and have a **** together.

But hey, 13 people using one outhouse, sometimes double occupancy was necessary.

Disclaimer
Male and female did not share the outhouse at the same time.

Nat

Old 04-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

When ever the wood stove is going, the bagged poop package go's strait into the stove. After about 5 min, the waste is completely incinerated without smell.

Nat[/quote]
this is what happens when you don't have TV
gbstewart
Old 04-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
Quote:
When ever the wood stove is going, the bagged poop package go's strait into the stove. After about 5 min, the waste is completely incinerated without smell.

Nat
this is what happens when you don't have TV
gbstewart

Nat