Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2004, 03:38 PM   #1

Newbie with a few questions

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a '91 Chevy/Wayne bus with an 8.2L diesel engine and 5 speed transmission, for the purpose of converting it into an RV. I'd like to ask a couple of questions, if possible:

1. I'm a fair hand at carpentry and body work, but I really don't know much about the plumbing and electrical work necessary to convert a bus into an RV. Are there any good "how to" books that fully explain how to do the plumbing and wiring work? I've done basic plumbing and wiring before, so I'd understand the concepts, I just need something that presents them in a straightforward format.

2. Are there any peculiarities to the particular model of bus I'm getting that I need to know about in terms of repair and maintenance?

If I could get some help on these things, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

-paul

PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:30 PM   #2

Thanks, I really appreciate it! I've been looking around and considering getting the Bus Converter's Bible, so I will do so.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:43 AM   #3
Skoolie

I bought the Bus Converters Bible around 3-years ago …hoping there would be some info I could use for our latest bus.
Turned out to be the biggest waste of money I’ve ever run into.
Dave Galey seems so afraid of getting sued by someone who uses any of his info in a wrong way…that he left out any of the real ‘how-to’stuff.
The book is mostly filled with ‘theoretical ‘stuff and has few applicable projects…

Galey’s book on building slideouts is the same….lots of “you might want to try something like this”….but no real ‘how-to’ stuff.

Fellow Bus Converter my A#$ !!!! The guy’s a rip-off….

Don’t waste your money Paul….this forum is the best ‘place’ for asking questions.
But if you really want a very GOOD book on RV Type systems…get the RV Repair & Maintenance Manual ….
Even though the book is designed for RV’ers or any other Nomadic type who’s running into system troubles…the book can be used for understanding and installing all of the bit’s and pieces that go into a rolling home.
It’s a great resource…

Here’s amazons link to the book
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 2?v=glance

Michael & Millie (freezing our butts off in Alaska )
http://www.mobilehomestead.com
Old 12-31-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
Almost There

Book Learning

I agree , I started to down load the book on line and when I actually started to read it as I was downloading I was dissapointed to say the least. I did waste some paper in the down load process but paper is cheap. They are numerious boards that you can go to with your ideas and questions. Thankfully this is one that has actual owners of bus conversions participating and not some 15 year old that asks questions like "Where can I get my bus models" The great thing about this board is the ideas that come across it and the installation experience. Some one has actually done it and will tell you how they did it, What works and why it works for them. We all do things in our own way and what we percieve to be our own style. I am sure that you will be able to pick and choose through this conversion process with truly informed responses. The rest is simple. Use that info and pick the method that agree's with you.

I can do a lot of stuff, But I have also used a lot of the idea's of those that have gone before me quite successfully. The experience is there if you are willing to take advantage of it.

Have a safe and Happy New year, J.B.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:33 PM   #5

Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into the RV Repair & Maintenance Manual, sounds like just what I'm looking for.

As for other books, what do you think about Ben Rosander's "Select and Convert Your Bus Into a Motorhome on a Shoestring", and Louis C. McClure's "How to Build Low Cost Motorhomes" ? Any good, or not worth it?

The main reason I'm buying a schoolbus to convert into an RV (aside from cost) is the used RV's I've seen that are anywhere near my price range are in such poor shape, and seem to have been built poorly to begin with. I want to build this sucker right so that I can have something to enjoy for years to come, not just for a few years then "chuck it and get a new one".
Old 01-05-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Bus Conversion Wiring & Plumbing

Hey Paul

Soused Moose has a great point as far as getting info from sites like this, from people who have done it. We're on our third conversion - a '95 International 71-passenger conventional, DT408 diesel, Bluebird body.

We picked up two great home wiring & plumbing books from Amazon. We took the design another step and figured that everything is moving - there's vibration and movement of the body as you travel and hit those bumpy roads - the whole thing's dynamic.

We're running AC and 12V DC throughout. So unlike a standard home wiring job, and taking movement into account, Linda and I took great care to install electrical lines and plumbing to avoid friction with these, such as rubbing against frame or sheet metal, or wires rubbing against pvc which might over time wear holes, etc. Being sure all the lines are adequately secured. I also found the Mobile Homestead site quite helpful - good ideas and insights . Good luck Paul!
firedancer is offline   Reply With Quote