Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
No More Progressive Insurance

So I'm trying to insure a bus I'm trying to buy and add it to my existing bus policy. I just got this reply back from my independent agent:

I wanted to send you this email because I wanted it to be in writing(unofficial/official).

I just spoke with a customer service rep, her manager and a supervisor with Progressive. I’ve been told that they no longer write converted school buses!! I will not be able to help you on the bus you are trying to purchase.

I know you feel like your getting the run around but I want to make sure you are/or are not covered. I don’t want there to be a “gray” area that we spoke about in our earlier phone conversation. Progressive will not cancel the current policy you have because they rely on us(the agents) to notify you of any change or unacceptable risks when we(the agents) are informed of the situation.

I would find coverage elsewhere for both vehicles if I were you.

Progressive gave me two contacts for companies that will cover the converted RV’s. We don’t have contracts with either of the two companies below.

America’s Choice Insurance Company

855-758-3385(I googled this company and they have a section under their recreation tab for RV’s.)

American Adventure Ins Co

888-930-3680

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600

So will this be for all of Progressive's "Commercial for Personal Use" business?
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Progressive hasn't knowingly insured converted buses since I've been in this hobby. Some get by for a while but ultimately get that letter.
Have you tried an Allstate agent?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post

So will this be for all of Progressive's "Commercial for Personal Use" business?
My existing policy with Progressive is a liability policy, not called CFPU. As I read it my policy will be good for the duration but not renewed at the end. I'm now being told my existing policy required the seats be removed. This sucks because I doubt I'll get rates as low as the $171/yr i'm paying now.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
My State Farm policy in the Atlanta area added my "commercial vehicle for personal use" with no questions. When I moved to Oregon, my new agent did the same. When I got retitled to motorhome, they had no problem giving me a "motorhome" policy, and my cost dropped to $70 for 2 years. I even called and verified the new price was not an additional cost.

PM me if you like and I'll give you my old insurance agent's number in the ATL area.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
My existing policy with Progressive is a liability policy, not called CFPU. As I read it my policy will be good for the duration but not renewed at the end. I'm now being told my existing policy required the seats be removed. This sucks because I doubt I'll get rates as low as the $171/yr i'm paying now.
Sorry to hear bout your issue, that sucks.

My commercial/personal policy was $800 a year. Changed the title to MH and called a local allstate agent. Now its $168 a year.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Sorry to hear bout your issue, that sucks.

My commercial/personal policy was $800 a year. Changed the title to MH and called a local allstate agent. Now its $168 a year.
I think after initially being told by State Farm that they would not insure it during conversion, but would after it's completed, they did come up with a quote in the $800 range like you mention Charlie. But the other place quoted me $171 for the year. $800 for an add on vehicle is more than all my other insurance combined that costs me $48/m. I'm sure I can get it registered as an RV and insure it through State Farm, but if it isn't converted they won't pay a claim. Fortunately for me I can't pull the wool over my agents eyes as they want pics of the conversion before writing the policy.
I called American Adventure and they said they will only insure it as a completed professionally built RV. They had no option for a policy during the build process. Waiting for the other company to call back.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
I think after initially being told by State Farm that they would not insure it during conversion, but would after it's completed, they did come up with a quote in the $800 range like you mention Charlie. But the other place quoted me $171 for the year. $800 for an add on vehicle is more than all my other insurance combined that costs me $48/m. I'm sure I can get it registered as an RV and insure it through State Farm, but if it isn't converted they won't pay a claim. Fortunately for me I can't pull the wool over my agents eyes as they want pics of the conversion before writing the policy.
I called American Adventure and they said they will only insure it as a completed professionally built RV. They had no option for a policy during the build process. Waiting for the other company to call back.
Call Kelly Newsome. 352-326-9300
Old 04-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
I think after initially being told by State Farm that they would not insure it during conversion, but would after it's completed, they did come up with a quote in the $800 range like you mention Charlie.

DANG! $800?

I think they wanted under $200 (like $180ish) a year from me.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
progressive never insured converted busses..(at least not in recent years) they will insure unconverted busses.. when I out my last bus on they asked "its staying a bus?" of course for me its easy as the answer is yes.. but I think any mention of converting it and you are history with them..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
progressive never insured converted busses..(at least not in recent years) they will insure unconverted busses.. when I out my last bus on they asked "its staying a bus?" of course for me its easy as the answer is yes.. but I think any mention of converting it and you are history with them..
-Christopher
That was my understanding when I got my existing policy. I was clear with the agent I needed some coverage during the conversion. Now I'm getting the impression I would not be covered if the seats were still in it. Don't many here have Progressive policies and their conversions?
Old 04-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I had a commercial policy through progressive on my short bus. The new bus costs me less than half as much for an RV policy through Kelly@Allstate. No grey area.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Just got off the phone with Americas Choice and they want nothing to do with it either.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Americas Choice and they want nothing to do with it either.
Well there IS a guy on this forum who sells insurance in GA and says he can get your skoolie insured.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/i-...-ga-22233.html
Old 04-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Well there IS a guy on this forum who sells insurance in GA and says he can get your skoolie insured.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/i-...-ga-22233.html
HamInTn offered me a policy, and while his full coverage rate was reasonable, just over $1K/yr, his $677/yr for liability only was $506 higher than what I'm paying. I would also have to have my other vehicles with him also. I won't take any of my business from State Farm.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
HamInTn offered me a policy, and while his full coverage rate was reasonable, just over $1K/yr, his $677/yr for liability only was $506 higher than what I'm paying. I would also have to have my other vehicles with him also. I won't take any of my business from State Farm.
Try calling Kelly. She's nice to talk to even if you don't get insurance.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
My State Farm policy in the Atlanta area added my "commercial vehicle for personal use" with no questions. When I moved to Oregon, my new agent did the same. When I got retitled to motorhome, they had no problem giving me a "motorhome" policy, and my cost dropped to $70 for 2 years. I even called and verified the new price was not an additional cost.

PM me if you like and I'll give you my old insurance agent's number in the ATL area.
Do you have the contact info for the Oregon agent?

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

I have full coverage through American family. Ive had my bus insured with them for four years
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:59 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Buses
Chassis: FS-65
Rated Cap: 66/44
I'm insured through the cooperators here in Ontario. $679 a year and given that I'm under 25, that's a STEAL in this lovely province of Ontario (worst insurance market in North America). Insurance covered me driving the bus back from the seller too. I have older friends who pay around the same or a bit less for scooter insurance. I think I'm paying $57 a month. No worries [emoji854]
Ab01ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9
My Statefarm agent in Gray GA covered mine from day 1, demolition through out the build for about $65 a month.
ThemadTurk is offline   Reply With Quote