Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Winter? Ohio? Yeah, right! Son, you don't KNOW winter until you've survived the Great Plains winters.

well.. ive got a little Body that loses heat faster than any school bus out there... at 5'9 and 135-140 lbs this boy dont dig anything below 70...

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
And I'm 6'2" and a whole lotta pounds with excess insulation... Plus, I just ordered a 4-season Federbett from Germany at €246, S&H included. I've survived TWO Montana winters.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Eureka!

Shrouded cooling fan!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im even thinking about changing my hatch to a fantastic roof vent... i could have a hhoiuse battery and on those hot days leave the fantastic turned on to pull the heat out.. so when I get in to drive my A/C has an easier time of it.. thats assuming that you can completely seal closed a fantastic when you are driving.

theres a ton of times when RVing that the roof vent would be of beneficial use..
-Christtopher
Chris, I have the same unit up here in an 'old 85 motorhome. Has lasted that many years in much colder weather than Ohio. Sometimes at -45F. Seals up well and is situated in the restroom which also has 2 partitions for privacy. When I open those doors up the whole rv will have the air changed in short order. Multi speed and reversible. You need that I would say.

None on my bus yet but woill find trailer to scrap or another scrap source. Not payinn that many beans when unnecessary. Might have to remove it myself but hey, I'm frugal.

John
Old 05-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Chris, I have the same unit up here in an 'old 85 motorhome. Has lasted that many years in much colder weather than Ohio. Sometimes at -45F. Seals up well and is situated in the restroom which also has 2 partitions for privacy. When I open those doors up the whole rv will have the air changed in short order. Multi speed and reversible. You need that I would say.

None on my bus yet but woill find trailer to scrap or another scrap source. Not payinn that many beans when unnecessary. Might have to remove it myself but hey, I'm frugal.

John
As I said, its worth checking ebay kinda frequently for "nib" ones at low prices. I paid $40 or $50 each for nib Fantastics.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:02 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
As I said, its worth checking ebay kinda frequently for "nib" ones at low prices. I paid $40 or $50 each for nib Fantastics.
I had never thought about watching ebay for NIB equipment.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #27
Bus Geek

is this the right FanTastic model to get?

Fan-Tastic 807350 Model 7350 White Roof Vent with Smoke Dome Automatic Lift with Variable Speed/Reverse/Thermostat/Rain Sensor and Hand-H |

-Christopher
Old 05-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
That is a nice one - I got this one a little cheaper:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MXH9FS?psc=1

I paid $166. at Camping World over the memorial day weekend. I am thinking I may just add this vent to the back - cut another hole 14x14 - versus closing up my emergency hatches - I would like to turn the hatches into windows - but for now - just need a quick way to add air flow.

I attached it to the open hatch yesterday - and it really does help - dropped about 10 degrees or so.

I am going to paint the roof BusKote White this weekend - and try to install a sun shade over the top. Awnings would be great - but out of budget right now.

I picked up a 6x15' sun shade that works great in the yard - so I hope that will help a little on top of the bus.

It's going to be a hot Florida Summer.

Quote:
Dog Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:42 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Quote:

That one has a rain sensor and remote too. That is a Cadillac kid!

Ideal when travelling alone if you need to either open it or close it while at the wheel.

I didn't notice any warranty though or read any reviews. Should be fine though. Go for it.

John
Old 05-31-2017, 06:24 PM   #30
Bus Geek

I want something I can have open going down the road if I have the A/C off and justthe driverwindow open.. i cant find any data on these to see if they can be open while driving.. im assuming these get installed where the opening is pointed toward the rear so as to not rip the vent off if it is open when driving..

does anyone know if you can use these on the road?

-Christopher
Old 05-31-2017, 06:28 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I had one on an RV that had no issue being open when driving (it opens toward the rear...) - you can also get a cover - which I would recommend - that would help protect it...

Camper MaxxAir Vents Covers | Camper Parts World

Quote:
I want something I can have open going down the road if I have the A/C off and justthe driverwindow open.. i cant find any data on these to see if they can be open while driving.. im assuming these get installed where the opening is pointed toward the rear so as to not rip the vent off if it is open when driving..

does anyone know if you can use these on the road?

-Christopher
Dog Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:32 PM   #32
Bus Geek

so you just mount that cover over the vent? looks like that cover has room for the vent to swing open.. cool idea!!

I just need to find some metal and a rivet gun to replace the Emergency hatch with so i can install this.. my rivet gun is little.. I think I'll go get that harbor freight one like ECCB has.

ECCB - if you are watching this, what brand rivets did you use on your hatch? and where can I order them?
-Christopher
Old 05-31-2017, 07:52 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

I use mine on the road with no problem. The cover has its low side mounted into the wind and the lid then can open with its high side towards the rear.
Just 4 small rivets in the inside trim and not sure right now how the cover is fastened and waterproofed to seal it. Caulking most likely after it's mounted.
Might be a chore getting power to that area but if anyone can do it, you certainly can Christopher.

John

ps: Mine has no rain detector as that one so should go down the road just fine.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I'd be a proponent of the Fantastic Fan thingy if I could still get into my garage with it on the roof. As it is, one more layer of paint and I couldn't get in. I agree that venting hot air out the top really helps keep temps inside down to a low baste. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with the two screened windows in my pop up.

Though they won't do much good cooling the living space of the bus, a few computer fans here and there sure help remove heat from the frig coils--especially if the frig is stuffed under the counter like mine. I have a computer fan directed at the frig compressor running whenever the frig is. I also have a larger computer fan set up on an adjustable thermostat that pushes hot air from the frig cabinet to the outside via a screened close dryer vent. I love numbers and "tests" but I'll save you the study and just say the frig runs 40% less with the fans so I suppose it does lower the heat load to some extent. Using new components the whole set up was about $20.

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:42 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
I use mine on the road with no problem. The cover has its low side mounted into the wind and the lid then can open with its high side towards the rear.
Just 4 small rivets in the inside trim and not sure right now how the cover is fastened and waterproofed to seal it. Caulking most likely after it's mounted.
Might be a chore getting power to that area but if anyone can do it, you certainly can Christopher.

John

ps: Mine has no rain detector as that one so should go down the road just fine.
if all I need is power im in Luck.. I have 2 wires going up there for the alarm circuit on the existing hatch, those wires appear to Home run back to my Blue-bird panel.. I'll have ot iomvestigate more to make sure they arent series-chained.. but seems each device has its own alarm.. so it might be super easy..
-Christopher
Old 05-31-2017, 11:11 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Fantastic makes one with a remote so you can operate it from the drivers seat. Pretty groovy. Also pretty pricey.

Fan-Tastic Ceiling Fan/Vent with Remote Control - Dometic 807350 - Vents - Camping World
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:23 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
so you just mount that cover over the vent? looks like that cover has room for the vent to swing open.. cool idea!!

I just need to find some metal and a rivet gun to replace the Emergency hatch with so i can install this.. my rivet gun is little.. I think I'll go get that harbor freight one like ECCB has.

ECCB - if you are watching this, what brand rivets did you use on your hatch? and where can I order them?
-Christopher
I'd go with 3/16" rivets. Stainless closed end. https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-De...?product=15400
Old 06-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Fantastic makes one with a remote so you can operate it from the drivers seat. Pretty groovy. Also pretty pricey.

Fan-Tastic Ceiling Fan/Vent with Remote Control - Dometic 807350 - Vents - Camping World
ha! thats the one I linked to. and was thinking about.. once I saw remote control. i was hooked!
-Chtistopher
Old 06-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I had one on an RV that had no issue being open when driving (it opens toward the rear...) - you can also get a cover - which I would recommend - that would help protect it...

Camper MaxxAir Vents Covers | Camper Parts World
+1 on the rain cover!
I got three Cosco units @ $22 apiece.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
I'm assuming these get installed where the opening is pointed toward the rear so as to not rip the vent off if it is open when driving..
Turning it the other way and you don't need the fan!!! You also don't need that stack of receipts on the counter either.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote