Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2022, 02:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3L T444 Navistar Diesel Automatic
Non-slip roof

I need a recommendation for a good non-slip paint or paint additive that is proven to work on the roof of a skoolie.

I am afraid of heights and I would like to ensure that at least my footing is solid when up on that roof.

I've considered a lot of options including having it professionally painted by guys that normally paint pickup truck beds.

Any thoughts, stories or suggestions are welcome.

mikej42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:34 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
Easy. Don't go on the roof. Your insurance company probably wont like the idea of you treating the roof with an anti slip coating- Because that would imply a high traffic area.

but to actually answer your question.my first guess is rhino liner. you cna DIY it if you buy the kits. do like 16" or 20" down the center.

Why do you need to be on the roof so frequently that your concerned about traction?
Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:49 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Elastomeric paint is pretty grippy
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
The roof is flat enough in the middle part that you won't have to worry about slipping, and if you need to work on the edges of the roof you'd be better off doing so from a ladder leaning up against the side.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:25 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3L T444 Navistar Diesel Automatic
I plan to have a lot of my storage on the roof. Also, I figure that maintenance would be an issue as well.

I guess that I felt that it would just make things safer for when I do have to go up there.

Thinking it out a little more though, maybe I won't be up there that much after all.

I appreciate the replies and I will take some more time to consider if it's actually necessary.
mikej42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:56 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochey6957 View Post
Easy. Don't go on the roof. Your insurance company probably wont like the idea of you treating the roof with an anti slip coating- Because that would imply a high traffic area.

but to actually answer your question.my first guess is rhino liner. you cna DIY it if you buy the kits. do like 16" or 20" down the center.

Why do you need to be on the roof so frequently that your concerned about traction?
I wouldn't sell it to the insurance company as better footing, but as hail protection. A rubberized roof coating will be less likely to take hail damage, and it'll take bigger hail to need repair. Because, you know, stuff bounces on rubber. Boing boing boing...

But I know how the OP feels, I scared of heights as well, but mine's an inner ear issue so I know why I have a problem with them. Doesn't stop me from going up when I need to, but I move real slow.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:46 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej42 View Post
I am afraid of heights and I would like to ensure that at least my footing is solid when up on that roof.
Use your standard elastomeric RV roof coatings, but find some large-grain particulate like some <80-grit sandblast media (https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-BEAUTY-.../dp/B0791W9MXL) and stir it in to a small bucket prior to pouring into a paint tray and rolling on.

You probably won't be able to spray it on without paying for a specialized paint gun, but IMHO, rolling it would probably get a better thickness and texture rolling it out.

The large-grain media in the paint would give you more texture and the elastomeric compounds are fairly grippy to begin with.

And on the off-chance that an insurance company asks about it, just straight up tell them that you're afraid of heights, and that you added something to the paint to keep you from falling off on the off-chance that you have to go up there for any reason whatsoever.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote