Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Was referencing autos from the bygone days before integrated starters were the norm: when serious injury could happen to the inattentive cranker.
And speaking of inattentive cranks...

Don't you know ANY other emojis?
That one is dismissive, and frankly pisses me right the fluck off!
(Not so) sorry to tell you, but you are not the smartest kid in the classroom...
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
It's a ratchet end, it doesn't spin with the motor.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Was referencing autos from the bygone days before integrated starters were the norm: when serious injury could happen to the inattentive cranker.
And speaking of inattentive cranks...

Don't you know ANY other emojis?
That one is dismissive, and frankly pisses me right the fluck off!
(Not so) sorry to tell you, but you are not the smartest kid in the classroom...
Look at the video and you will see that the crank does not spin once the motor fires up. If the emoji fits.....
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
It looks like the guy at least has his hands in the right position in case it back fires.
All the Citroens I had and even my current 1973 DS can be still started with a crank. I am not a hero on the DS but I started my first car a 2CV4... 2cylinder aircooled...often like that since I did not have the money to buy another battery.
I had replaced the ignition with a home made CDI that was pretty powerful.
It always started on the first.
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

No need to reiterate the obvious from my previous, but its good to know where you stand.
FYVM
(And here's one for the high horse you rode in on... -=` )
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Look at the video and you will see that the crank does not spin once the motor fires up. If the emoji fits.....
Thank you! Unless it was hashtagged, classic_failure_to_launch, you'd hope the fella knew what he was about.
I didn't bother with watching the video, I burn sufficient daylight already, and besides, I've seem my fair share of hardware insertions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
It looks like the guy at least has his hands in the right position in case it back fires.
All the Citroens I had and even my current 1973 DS can be still started with a crank. I am not a hero on the DS but I started my first car a 2CV4... 2cylinder aircooled...often like that since I did not have the money to buy another battery.
I had replaced the ignition with a home made CDI that was pretty powerful.
It always started on the first.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:03 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Hand cranking has broken many an arm when the crank spins with the engine. What happens is the ignition timing may not have been set retarded before starting and the engine tries to run backwards. It will not run much backwards but enough to catch your arm if you do not get it out of the way. Had it throw the crank a few hundred feet once on me starting an old tractor.

As long as the engine starts the right way the crank should get kicked out, but a bit of wear or a substitute crank and I have on rare occasion seen them spin with the engine even with the engine running in the right direction....

As for the original post think towing it to a shop that has a good reputation might really be best at this point.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Y'all really know how to derail a thread. I hope the OP got it figured out, if not, op feel free to pm me.

IF it's a 1995 model cummins, no online resource is going to help you. It's a mechanical engine and won't be fixed with a scan tool or computer. You need to find someone who understands how engines work and the steps you'd take to troubleshoot them.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:37 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Y'all really know how to derail a thread. I hope the OP got it figured out, if not, op feel free to pm me.

IF it's a 1995 model cummins, no online resource is going to help you. It's a mechanical engine and won't be fixed with a scan tool or computer. You need to find someone who understands how engines work and the steps you'd take to troubleshoot them.
Yeah this got wild didn't it.

Current status : about to be homeless with my kid (single mom, just happen to have a dude name), had to borrow a truck to finish moving out of a house because my truck broke down last week (needs a new intake manifold), was supposed to be moving into the bus & moving the bus 8 miles up the road but here we are. Cannot handle doing anything to the bus engine right now.

Will be posting in a bit asking how to phrase my call to AAA because I did the Vermont thing but didn't transfer the title back to NC yet. Have Vermont plates, NC insurance. AAA with RV coverage though!

If I can't get this bus onto the new property I'll be selling it and sleeping in this borrowed truck. Could have handled one of these things at a time, just not two broken vehicles plus a move. (Did I mention the part where I about cut my arm off with an angle grinder and have been fighting with insurance about it since January?) Too much. #mamatried
elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:11 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

First and foremost: Boucoup apologies for the contribution of my pennies on the rail!!! So did not wanna let it go there...
Mucho empathy and sympathy for your situation! If I weren't dry-docked a thousand miles away, I'd be proud to offer whatever assistance my limited capabilities would permit.
AAA: Tell them where you need to be towed to is where the bus will be repaired. If they know it's just a relocation, you will be billed for the hook up!!!
Bon chance!
Old 05-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
First and foremost: Boucoup apologies for the contribution of my pennies on the rail!!! So did not wanna let it go there...
Mucho empathy and sympathy for your situation! If I weren't dry-docked a thousand miles away, I'd be proud to offer whatever assistance my limited capabilities would permit.
AAA: Tell them where you need to be towed to is where the bus will be repaired. If they know it's just a relocation, you will be billed for the hook up!!!
Bon chance!
Think it'll count if it's "I'll be working on it at this location?" Maybe "My buddy's shop is on this property?" I am storing all my tools in the big shed there and I regularly do maintenance and repair on my truck, just no business license....

Not worried at all about the b.s.ing, I have no shits left to give 😅

Thank you.
elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:39 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

If it were me, I'd engage in a little judicious truth tweakage. The operator &/or AAA Will be more amenable to honoring their contract with you if it's going to a shop.
While I may be confident in your competency, its best to avoid any possible/probable, "What could this pretty l'il thang possibly know about working on such a big, testosterone-laden engine... [emoji848]" attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot_peas View Post
Think it'll count if it's "I'll be working on it at this location?" Maybe "My buddy's shop is on this property?" I am storing all my tools in the big shed there and I regularly do maintenance and repair on my truck, just no business license....

Not worried at all about the b.s.ing, I have no shits left to give [emoji28]

Thank you.
"I don't give a sh1t. If I gave a sh1t, I'd havta pack sh1t, but I don't pack no sh1t, so I don't give a sh1t..."
~George Carlin
(Edit: Interesting. Your pluralizing the commonplace term for fecal matter passed, however I just had to retype in a modified form for that word to score a pass. Weird sh1t, no?)
Old 06-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #31

Kevin

Tow! 4 days to learn nope not happening. Maybe as simple as a cracked filter gasket and sucking air ............ Maybe maybe not ...power to the injectors Ya maybe but not sure of the engine how can you be sure of the injector power 77 volts or 120 volts REALLY dangerous to find out the hard way! I get it you want to do it but the issues can be really sneaky and difficult to find. I had a diesel that for months would just randomly die finally figured it that you loosen the fuel filter and re tighten it it would run..... ???? Brought into cat dealer and after a couple of days scratching their heads the shop Forman walked by opened the fuel cap and saw a bottle cap card board floating in the tank he g fished it out and bang troubles gone! It was stopping up the fuel intake tube restricting flow in till it died. Sometimes it is that simple. Good luck
KevinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA466
Rated Cap: 40 ish rugrats
RE: The AAA and towing of a converted bus. AAA here in Washington said their RV coverage would not cover a converted school bus, regardless whether or not the Washington State Patrol certified it as an RV.

Towing a bus on your dime can get very expensive.