Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

OBSERVATION DECK SALES?

Anyone know anyone in NY or PA that does sales and installation of observation decks?

Dom

finfan3dp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Obseration Deck

Hey, I've got a better idea. Look at all of the ways to put a deck together by looking at the RAGBRAI buses. Get a welder, chop saw and go for it. You may not be able to weld, but I'll bet you know someone who could help you.

But, are you sure that you want a deck. With the high price of fuel, it could cost you more than just the installation of the deck. Has anyone done a "before and after" fuel study with these decks?

Herb in Utah
1990 flat-nose Blue Bird
Skoolie BOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
Bus Geek

I have not been able to alter my fuel economy by adding/subtracting weight, height, partydeck, or hauling a car.

There is almost a 4 thousand pound difference between the jacuzzi being full and empty and makes no measurable difference in fuel economy. I drove 250 miles on the x-pressway from my home in michigan to dayton ohio with the jacuzzi empty. I drove home with it full, and had the exact same fuel economy both ways.

I drove all the way from michigan-reno-LA-Michigan with my brand new roof rack with 8 empty 55 gallon drums on the roof, pulling my car, with about 50 or 100 gallons of water inthe jacuzzi, 4 people and all our stuff, and a 17 cubic foot fully loaded chest freezer among other things. I averaged better fuel economy on that trip than i usually get back home. I've found that here in michigan, i get 8.5 mpg on surface streets or x-pressway. On the big trip i averaged just above 9mpg.

The above is refering only to diesel fuel. The numbers are all slightly less when i run veggie oil

Other people may have a different perspective to share....