Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Odd buzzer on 2002 Thomas

I have a buzzer problem I need help with.

Bus: 2002 Freightliner with a Thomas body. Conventional, 10 window, and in very good shape.

Symptoms:
  • Buzzer sounds immediately on ignition being turned on.
  • Buzzer sounds from the wall under the driver's window. No outside hatch: these buses make you get to the wiring from the inside.
  • The bus starts (as in, there is no starter lockout).
  • It's not the air pressure alarm - that goes out when pressure builds up.
  • It's not the back emergency door alarm: opening that door adds a different alarm sound.
  • The roof hatch and side window emergency exits appear to be secure.
  • Opening the roof hatch and side window emergency exits do NOT add the same buzzer as the back door, and there is no change in sound - could it be that one of the switches on one of these went sour and is causing the alarm? Since opening the side or top hatch makes no change, it seems plausible that that circuit is already energized.
  • I broke the red handle off one of the window exits, and I think the problem started after I did that. But the window seems to be fully closed (which was the problem causing the broken handle: I couldn't get it open).
I will be digging into the schematics tomorrow... but if anyone has an idea I would love to hear it.

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
I had the same issue......even though everything looked closed and secured. I didn't NEED the buzzer, and it didn't interfere with the ignition interlock, so I just found it and cut the wire. Your rear door is likely on a separate circuit, and should have it's own buzzer.

As is always the case, after you cut any wire, immediately check and make sure the bus will start. I've read a lot of horror stories on here.....

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Hm. That sounds dangerously like bashing out the oil indicator light. But I get your point.

I understand that the lift pump was replaced and they added an alarm for when there was low pressure to the injector pump. I thought it was a light: suppose this might be the alarm they were talking about?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Mr. Twigg posted a thread some months ago which addressed this issue (I believe), and Genghis posted a couple of very helpful schematics on page 2. I believe this is a buzzer to warn that some dirty rotten little kid has opened a side emergency exit window. See http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/in...ion-21119.html.

Thanks, Genghis and Twigg!
Old 05-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Mr. Twigg posted a thread some months ago which addressed this issue (I believe), and Genghis posted a couple of very helpful schematics on page 2. I believe this is a buzzer to warn that some dirty rotten little kid has opened a size emergency exit window. See http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/in...ion-21119.html.

Thanks, Genghis and Twigg!
On the Thomas Saf-T-Liner, the interlocks are not tied to the ignition.

It even advises in the Driver Handbook to not drive with the buzzers sounding, directly implying that this is possible.

Anyway, I took all mine out. Now I can drive without having to unlock every door before I do so. I know this might compromise the original safety concept, but I will never have 70 rugrats trying to exit my RV in a hurry.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
...It even advises in the Driver Handbook to not drive with the buzzers sounding...
Well, that's my plan: unplug the buzzer and it won't be sounding. Done. See how easy this safety stuff is?
Old 05-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
Bus Nut

...aaaaand that wasn't the buzzer that was sounding. I carefully removed both wires and took the buzzer out. Turned the bus on and it's ANOTHER buzzer in the same vicinity as the one I removed that's making noise! Bah.