Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
Oil Gauge stopped working after oil change

So last week I notice the oil pressure was unusually high, about 65psi at high rpm (DD671 so 2300 is high rpm) and would not drop as the rpm dropped, usually sits at about 25-30psi during idle. The next day it was working properly. I took the oil filter out at the end of next week to get the model number, put it back it and noticed I had high pressure all the time, about 65psi again. I changed my oil and filter today, one P20-HD filter and about 7 3/4 gallons of Delo 100 40W. I put about a gallon of oil in the filter canister before I put it back on, man that thing is heavy when full and your trying to hold it on at an angle with one hand and trying to tighten the bolt that holds it on... Anyway, I get in and turn it on. The oil pressure light turns off and the needle comes up to 25. As I sit down to drive her back to her designated parking spot, I notice this....

I'm confident I have oil pressure and I have driven less than a quarter mile since I put oil in it so I know its full. I'm thinking a good first step would be to located the oil sending unit on the engine and trace it to the gauge from there.

Any thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:55 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevydude01 View Post
So last week I notice the oil pressure was unusually high, about 65psi at high rpm (DD671 so 2300 is high rpm) and would not drop as the rpm dropped, usually sits at about 25-30psi during idle. The next day it was working properly. I took the oil filter out at the end of next week to get the model number, put it back it and noticed I had high pressure all the time, about 65psi again. I changed my oil and filter today, one P20-HD filter and about 7 3/4 gallons of Delo 100 40W. I put about a gallon of oil in the filter canister before I put it back on, man that thing is heavy when full and your trying to hold it on at an angle with one hand and trying to tighten the bolt that holds it on... Anyway, I get in and turn it on. The oil pressure light turns off and the needle comes up to 25. As I sit down to drive her back to her designated parking spot, I notice this....

I'm confident I have oil pressure and I have driven less than a quarter mile since I put oil in it so I know its full. I'm thinking a good first step would be to located the oil sending unit on the engine and trace it to the gauge from there.

Any thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated.
sure sounds like a sending unit since the gauge went flaky before you changed the oil in it.. though i think id verify wit ha mechanical test gauge on the engine to make sure you didnt have something happen like a relief spring in the oil pump stuck and then broke...

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
Agreed. The hardest part is trying to find the sending unit! I have a DD 671 Inline rebuild manual, but nowhere in it does it show where the sending unit is. Tracing it back from the gauge is going to be difficult too. It looks like everything goes down under the floor and between the radiator and storage compartments, down the center of the bus, by the time it emerges in the engine compartment who knows whats what. And I have only ever seen the right side of the motor, the left side faces the ground lol I'm a little big to squeeze under and get a good view of the left side of the low hanging engine. I might need to figure a way to get under there.

Any Detroit owners have an idea where the sending unit is and how to test it? I don't want to start it again without at least attempting a fix so I can see oil pressure.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
of course if it can be underneath then it will..

shouldbt be too many sensors on that engine.. coolant usually in the water jacket near a radiator or Tstat outlet on the engine.. and oil pressure seems like it would be in something non-water touched like near the oil filter...

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote