Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Ok, here's an idea for the floorplan/layout I'm thinking of

That works for me. Your bus is very similar in size to mine. I would recommend mocking everything up with cardboard, wood, whatever and seeing how it works. My only concern with your design is going to be the width, especially in the area between your bunks and shower area. I have bunks side-by-side basically in the same area as you have yours and the walkway between them is very narrow. I'm a big guy and I fit just fine, but just barely. Getting to the bottom bunks can be difficult if you have anything in your hands. It was a sacrifice I was willing to make for the added bed space. Having twin size mattresses on both sides was a must.

Also, add storage wherever possible. You can never have too much storage. My bus was designed for 5-6 people to live in for 4-5 days and becomes INCREDIBLY cramped in that period of time. I have actually given up my shower and bathroom space in order to add more storage space and an A/V room. Again, it was a sacrifice I was willing to make, but also one that could have been avoided with a little more planning. It's not that it doesn't work the way it is, but it is a lot of work. My mattress gets moved on top of a bunk (I have a personal rear bedroom) and my bed gets flipped up to create storage space in the rear for a grill, generator, etc. I need to add underbody storage.

One other area to look at is your food prep space. I don't have much of any. Most of my cooking takes place outside (it's amazing what you can grill...) but I do use the stove on occasion and wish every time that I had more space.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Seems to me putting a shower/tub over the wheel well could present a few problems. A good space saving idea is to eliminate the tub and just use a shower stall...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

My first thought was "Let's see if I can come up with some tip from my own experience that would be useful to this guy".

But then I realized that I don't know anything about how you are going to use this bus. So THAT becomes my tip: Carefully analyze your needs, and build what will suit YOU, and those traveling with you.

That said, some things are of course universal. Big beds so you can sleep well even if there are other uncomfortable elements, such as parking on a slope. I find that I really hate hanging onto the inner edge of the bunk with my teeth all night for fear of rolling out of it.

Wide aisle -- IF you are going to have other people in there. I find us often bumping into each other when moving around.

Of course, the above two items do not play well together -- unless you put the bunks and bathroom on one side and offset the aisle -- maybe even all the way to the wall, like railroad sleeper cars. I'm actually surprised that we don't see more of that approach on this site, since this arrangement slices up the available space into cramped cubbyholes the least.

I'm a bit worried about the slide-out bed up front, as it would block access to the rest of the bus for anyone who needs to get further back, after that front bed has been readied for sleep.

Storage YES! I find we ought to have dedicated storage spaces for each person. Good organization is vital for several people to function in such a cramped space.

It appears you do not intend to have a forward-facing navigator seat, and this I agree with. I find that passengers generally prefer to ride at the dinette -- often sideways. I'm even considering removing my navigator seat.

But foremost, I repeat, I recommend you analyze the use this bus will see, how many people, what kind of people (a baby?) and tailor the interior to that, more than anything else.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Nice reply Elliot. I will only echo that we need to know more about how and by whom it's going to be used. Full-timing has different requirements than camping, tailgating, etc.
Oh, also agree 100% with the importance of having wide aisles in your bus. Mine has 36" at the narrowest and it's a huge help psychologically . Lots of windows and light-colored wood and/or paint are a plus too.

Sean
Old 07-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Why, yes... several thoughts!

And the first that pops up is one word: "Jail". Doesn't all this surveillance result in any arrests? (Or do you live in some sort of Grand Central Station for thugs? ) Comedic value, indeed!

Big Yellow Eyesore? Slap a coat of moss green house paint on it -- or whatever color would blend in there. Don't even wash it first -- just "hide" it without delay. Ought to help.

Might want to letter "SECURITY" on it, neatly.

""...who is going to buy a 20-year-old 35-foot bus with no seats... ...with only 51,000 miles on it."" Well, admittedly, now I'm stumped.

There we have it! One man, full timing. Pretty much the opposite of what I do, but some of "us" will have some relevant thoughts, I'm sure.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Great story I like your way of thinking, similar to mine.

Perhaps we should start a thread with stories like this.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
it is exempt from personal property tax in Virginia, being over 10 years old
HUH?

I still get a personal property tax bill on my Jeep every year, and it's 14 years old... I haven't registered the bus yet but I'm sure they will send a bill out on that too...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
Quote:
it is exempt from personal property tax in Virginia, being over 10 years old
HUH?

I still get a personal property tax bill on my Jeep every year, and it's 14 years old... I haven't registered the bus yet but I'm sure they will send a bill out on that too...
Yup, I had to pay my county tax and get my county sticker on my 23 yr old bus when I bought it. And my old 1982 Chevy C30 also has tax due each year.

They really like nailing you with those taxes.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Steve has a pretty good setup with a door dividing about half of the bus. I have only seen one photo but it seems that the back half of the bus, sleeping and bath areas (maybe?) are divided off from the galley and living areas.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 AM   #10

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by "CHEESE_WAGON

Steve who? What is his handle on here?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:08 AM   #11

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

He's our fearless leader. Shame on you. Unless you were kidding, then shame on me.

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/memberl...iewprofile&u=2

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #12
Bus Nut

My black/grey tank is located center of my bus between the frame rails, behind the rear axle. The toilet is next to the passenger side wall behind the wheel well. This setup will use a bit more water with every flush but hanging my 55-gallon black/grey tank from the frame rails was just to easy to pass up. We will be carrying 50-55 gallons of fresh so I am not concerned. A 42-gallon fresh water tank, when it runs dry I plan to add 10 more gallons from two plastic 5-gallon jugs (we always carry 3 fivers now) the third 5-gallon jug always sits outside on a table so it will never enter the bus's water/holding supply.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to nchittendon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
I mean, who is going to buy a 20-year-old 35-foot bus with no seats that gets 6 mpg for fun?

YO! Over here, in the back! **shouts loudly with arm raised in the air hopping like I have to pee**

lol
nchittendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Can you put of some Posts with signs that state all violators will be shot if found on the property? Doesnt mean that a gun has to be involved, but it should make people think before they step onto the property.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Known Problems:

Turn signal bleed to reverse lights (Don't even want to guess)
Roof and windshield leaks, with minor interior/roof damage (floor warpage and a rotted trim panel)
Side Door lock not working properly (Looks like a standard door lock, but I'm sure it isn't)
Glow plugs not functioning (may be disconnected)
Water in fuel (discovered after driving, sounds like a popcorn machine below 1800 rpm)
Driver's windshield needs replacing (gasket alone is $400)
The first problem sounds like a bad ground. RVs often don't have any real metal where the lights are mounted, so the ground has to be wired over from a chassis point. That should be an easy fix if you are at all comfortable with chasing down wires.

Roof leak can be patched with Eternabond putty tape. I got mine at bestmaterials.com for a decent price. It is a strong putty tape that is almost impossible to peel back off and seals really well.

What are the dimensions of the windshield? I have an old RV with 2 large pieces of undamaged glass that will be coming out soon. If the dimensions match, we might be able to work something out.

The side door on my rv has a functional lock, and will also be coming available shortly.

Can't help with the glow plugs. sorry. Or the water in the fuel.

I *think* the gaskets on my windshields are still in good enough shape. However, I'm positive you can find a better price than $400 each. And like I said, the glass is in good shape and who knows, they might just fit.

It'll be easier to sell with as many of those things fixed as possible should you choose to sell it.

Oh, and rebuilding the interior of an RV is more work than starting from scratch with a skoolie. Also, when you get done, you still have a stick-and-staple RV that won't survive a rollover.

hope this helps,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
...In reference to another thread, does anyone know where I can get enough tinfoil to line the roof of my bus?
Here's where I got mine: http://www.restockit.com/Heavy-Foil-Rol ... --(627REYN)---ON-SALE-TODAY!.html

I'm also experimenting with stealth paints and non-standard surfaces like the military uses on the newer aircraft. Hopefully when I'm done, my bus will just look like a highway mirage heat ripple coming down the road, WATCH OUT!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Smitty, He IS thinking green...well, white probably. If he can reflect enough of the suns rays out into space, he could cause it to snow around his place... One problem though, too much reflection and he could cause another ice age... But, on the upside, it would cool the entire planet.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #18
Bus Nut

I dont think we are on the verge of one, Just been watching too much of the science channel again... Reflecting heat isnt going to cause any real warming. I mean, the reflector will get a little warm, but other than that, nothing.

And anyways, someone had to counter Smitty.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Cheese, excited to hear about the studio idea. I'd like to do something similar, only a little more low tech as it will be more a practice space, doubling as the bedroom. all I want to do is soundproof the back area of the bus so no sound gets out. I just decided this in favor of my other idea which was to build a towable room on a flatbed - more expensive than I can afford and probably make drive more difficult. there's just so many options for products and methods, and I don't know how any of it will stand up to being on the road. what are your thoughts on this so far? I'm hoping to accomlpishing something for far less than $2000 if possible!
jndonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, possible theft was a concern too, although just for kicks I pondered making it look like an outhouse and storing all equipment in bus when not in use!!!

My needs are much simpler, I'm satisfied with my M-box and a laptop that can run Protools (full version). storage I think will be less an issue since, as this space is doubling as the bedroom, the bed will have full storage underneath, accissible by way of a hinged lid that can be propped up with the mattress still ontop. should be just big enough for a Yamaha electric piano and a couple stringed instruments. I'm less interested in recording quality and more so in privacy, both from the outside, and from the rest of the bus.

Right now I'm looking into building techniques, like a room-within-a-room, or resilient channel and related spinnoff methods, and this is the part I'm most concerned with standing up to bouncing around on the road. not to mention this all takes up precious space. I've been looking into whether sound dampening materials like Rattle Trap or Dynamat would work to isolate the space, since these are used with vehicles and reducing home theater noise, but it might not accomplish the level of privacy I want.

also considering lamenated windows to replace the glass in this area. I don't want to work or sleep in a sealed off box, so as tricky/pricey as it sounds, I'd love to make that work.
jndonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote