Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #1

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chev, 366 I think
Rated Cap: 66
Re: I like Newbies... and their questions!

i like the term Newbie, i guess that's me. not being much of a computer geek i am not sure if this is the right place to ask my question, but here goes. i have a 1974 Bluebird with a 366 gasoline engine. the bus has been sitting for 90% of the last seventeen years. The odometer is showing 56,500 miles. the engine has not been running for at least six years. i live in western Canada where there is very limited humidity, so therefore very limited rust. i put in a battery last September and the engine still turns over freely. my question is: i hope to start a simple conversion next spring, should i go with the bus that i have and fix it up mechanically, or throw down some cash and look for a newer bus that is still running? i probably will not be touring very much. Mostly just living in it.

MrBeek2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeek2u
i like the term Newbie, i guess that's me. not being much of a computer geek i am not sure if this is the right place to ask my question, but here goes. i have a 1974 Bluebird with a 366 gasoline engine... my question is: i hope to start a simple conversion next spring, should i go with the bus that i have and fix it up mechanically, or throw down some cash and look for a newer bus that is still running? i probably will not be touring very much. Mostly just living in it.
Welcome aboard!
Try "Conversion Discussion." Your question will catch more attention of those who have all sorts of rigs, including gas Chevrolets. Some are much older than yours. My feeling is that a Bluebird in hand is worth two in the bush - forgive the pun - especially since the body is in good shape and you're not going to rack up a lot more miles from what it sounds like. (Disclaimer: I know little about Chevy trucks/buses, so I might be way off base here.)
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeek2u
i like the term Newbie, i guess that's me. not being much of a computer geek i am not sure if this is the right place to ask my question, but here goes. i have a 1974 Bluebird with a 366 gasoline engine. the bus has been sitting for 90% of the last seventeen years. The odometer is showing 56,500 miles. the engine has not been running for at least six years. i live in western Canada where there is very limited humidity, so therefore very limited rust. i put in a battery last September and the engine still turns over freely. my question is: i hope to start a simple conversion next spring, should i go with the bus that i have and fix it up mechanically, or throw down some cash and look for a newer bus that is still running? i probably will not be touring very much. Mostly just living in it.
If you're not going to be driving that much, why drop the cash on a newer bus. Use the money towards your conversion. If you will be driving, expect about 5-6 miles per gallon or whatever goofy standard you and about 98% of the world uses. You should at least get it in good mechanical shape in case you need to go on a trip. Oh yeah, welcome.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Old bus or new?

Split from the thread in Everything Else.

Cheers
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Old bus or new?

Would you rather put a lot of money into something and not be able to recoup it or put a lot less money in....and still not be able to recoup it?
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Old bus or new?

Again as most people said here....search your soul as to what you want the bus to do. I have a older bus with the same 366 in mine so the parts are there if you need to redo one or even to swap it out. I think you need to look at how much you will drive it. If your going to do some miles on it probably a new one will pay off in mileage over time. If you doing a weekend here and there Id stick with the older bus.

Both of them you will tailor to how you want it to be so thats really a none issue in my book.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote