Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Old insulation, sticky

I just took out the old insulation in my bus but there is like a thin layer of what seems to be some kind of spray glue which prevented the insulation from coming off in one piece. Most or close to all of it came off but each piece left some stick due to the sticky spray. I'm using a wire brush to scrape the remaining off bu some spots are kinda wet.

I plan on spray foaming eventually. My question is, is it a bad idea to spray foam over that stuff once I scrape as much leftover insulation and sticky stuff off? Maybe I should get a puddy knife and or was it with soap and water?

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I just tried to use a angle grinder with a wire wheel and it somewhat works but sends insulation pieces/particles everywhere. Whats the easiest/fastest way to approach this situation. Hope I'm not the only one to have to deal with this sticky stuff

Thanks in advance to whoever can advise
Old 02-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
In mine I gutted the whole interior and then pressure washed the inside. It was able to quickly remove the remaining fiberglass hair and took a lot of the "tar" spray off in sheets. What's left is not a concern, I doubt spray foam would have an issue with it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Thanks for the tip, o1marc. Is electricity required to use a pressure washer? Also, in my bus there is the inside wall after removing the inside skins and then a metal or steel boarder on the floor of the bus about a foot tall. There is about an inch and a half between the wall and this boarder that water would likely get in and trapped. Was this an issue for you?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Thanks for the tip, o1marc. Is electricity required to use a pressure washer? Also, in my bus there is the inside wall after removing the inside skins and then a metal or steel boarder on the floor of the bus about a foot tall. There is about an inch and a half between the wall and this boarder that water would likely get in and trapped. Was this an issue for you?
It was warm out when I did it and found that oven dry in about an hour. Pressure washers are usually gas powered, but some electric units are available. I directed into those pockets to blow out any left over insulation. Insulation gets wet and no longer floats particles in the air.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Hey, O1marc! Question... do these things usually need to be hooked up to a water outlet or something? Also, what brand/model/psi rating did you go with. I've did a bit of research finding that a lot of companies hype their products up with lies. I was thinking of renting one from home depot. Did you rent?
Old 02-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Hey, O1marc! Question... do these things usually need to be hooked up to a water outlet or something? Also, what brand/model/psi rating did you go with. I've did a bit of research finding that a lot of companies hype their products up with lies. I was thinking of renting one from home depot. Did you rent?
gas powered pressure washers small enough to be suitable in your application range in pressure from a rather useless 1500 lbs per sq inch, to 5000 lbs psi - I generally used the 3000 psi @ 5 gal per minute in my job as a painting contractor - if you are going to be renting a pressure washer for removing that sticky tarry stuff, I suggest you rent a pressure 'steam' cleaner - they aren't really 'steam' cleaners, but they do heat the water that's used and the hot water combined with the pressure is really quite effective - the electrically powered pressure washers are not likely to do the job you want done - they might be adequate for washing your car or cleaning up your sun deck
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Did either of you discover this after removing your insulation? I mean, its it ok to approach this much leftover with the pressure washer?
Attached Thumbnails
20190323_091856.jpg  
Old 03-26-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Did either of you discover this after removing your insulation?
I have!
I've had to remove that stuff before. Took FOREVER but it hid rust from a leaky hatch.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:35 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Also, how did you go about not getting wiring wet? And how about the getting the water out of the bus. My bis is on a very slight "hill" and all the water will go to the front. Guess I'll just push it out the door with a push broom? Hopefully it only takes a few quick passes to knock that stuff off. But I'm also gonna be using it on the floor and windows, though. Hopefully it doesn't take much effort
Attached Thumbnails
20190323_085054.jpg  
Old 03-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Did either of you discover this after removing your insulation? I mean, its it ok to approach this much leftover with the pressure washer?
should come off with a heated pressure washer - 3000 lb sq/in and use a rotating tip - the tool rental will know what you mean if you tell them the above
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Actually, disregard the question about the wires. Just gonna tape up wherever there is a plug. Simple lol
Old 03-26-2019, 06:42 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I have!
I've had to remove that stuff before. Took FOREVER but it hid rust from a leaky hatch.
What was your method? I was using a wire brush that did good but took long and sent fiber lent every where. I need to pressure wash the whole thing anyway so I'll go that route.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:43 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Yes they need a garden hose hooked up to the pump on the washer. I did the ceiling also. If on an angle, start at the high end and as you wash, push the water towards the exit. I have a corded leaf blower that I use to clean out the bus. Might help get the water out.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
should come off with a heated pressure washer - 3000 lb sq/in and use a rotating tip - the tool rental will know what you mean if you tell them the above
Ok, Thanks
Old 03-26-2019, 07:02 PM   #16
Bus Nut

QUOTE=o1marc;316361]Yes they need a garden hose hooked up to the pump on the washer. I did the ceiling also. If on an angle, start at the high end and as you wash, push the water towards the exit. I have a corded leaf blower that I use to clean out the bus. Might help get the water out.[/QUOTE]

Got a air compressor. Might not be as effective as a leaf blower though.

I don't know what I'll do now sinceI don't have a water hook up. Smh
Old 03-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
I used a painter's tool like this one to scrape most of that stuff off: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-14...-G14/202038673

I scratched whatever the dark gray undercoating is a little bit in the course of doing this. I'm not sure what that is exactly, since it doesn't cover the entire underside of the roof sheeting. I think (since it is only in the areas where the glue is actually applied for attaching the insulation) that it is mainly to protect the steel of the roof sheet from the glue.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
The easiest, cleanest, driest, wat is with an oscillating multi tool. Use the flat blade attachment. Takes it off easy peasy.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:48 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Why is anyone concerned about the sticky stuff, it is getting covered with insulation. Why do you feel it is important to go through the hassle of removing it?
Old 03-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Why is anyone concerned about the sticky stuff, it is getting covered with insulation. Why do you feel it is important to go through the hassle of removing it?
I don't know, maybe it'll turn into rust? peace of mind? Neat freaks? perfectionists? You're right tho but at first in some spots, that stuff was still wet