Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Re: Operate Passenger Doors with Remote

Looks like your existing switch is just reversing the polarity to open & close the door. I'd say you're remote is hooked up right. Could the remote be just sending a pulse instead of steady current? If you have a voltmeter hook it up to one side of the remote and see what happens when you press the button. If you don't have a voltmeter wire in a 12v light bulb.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

You are on the right track with the 3.5 second mode. That was plenty of time to open/close the doors on my Champion Bus.

Too bad you already bought that fancy gizmo.

You could do the same with a couple of relay's salvaged from any car at the junkyard.

Hopefully the new polarity reversing gizmo fixes your problem.

If not, send me another PM and i'll see if i can help. I don't log onto skoolie much anymore. Unfortunately i do not remember exactly how i hooked up the remote in my last bus, but i can easily draw you up a schematic to make it work using 2 relays.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Bus Geek

update??
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
You are on the right track with the 3.5 second mode. That was plenty of time to open/close the doors on my Champion Bus.

Too bad you already bought that fancy gizmo.

You could do the same with a couple of relay's salvaged from any car at the junkyard.

Hopefully the new polarity reversing gizmo fixes your problem.

If not, send me another PM and i'll see if i can help. I don't log onto skoolie much anymore. Unfortunately i do not remember exactly how i hooked up the remote in my last bus, but i can easily draw you up a schematic to make it work using 2 relays.

Do you think you could do a write up for the forum that walks people thru it step by step??? I'm sure a lot of members would be very grateful...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Do you think you could do a write up for the forum that walks people thru it step by step??? I'm sure a lot of members would be very grateful...
Here you go:

This should work using bulldog security keyless entry. From autozone it is Part Number: KE1702

If you read The installation manual:

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/pdf/ke100_150_1702.pdf

and choose door locking "Type C" which is polarity reversing mode, and wire your door motor accordingly. (technically, wire this to the back of the switch that controls your door.)

Then you have to go to section 7 and look under "Programming 0.7 and 3.5 second door lock/unlock pulse time." Follow the directions to select 3.5 second mode.

It is important that you cut the wires as shown in the diagram.

If you follow the instructions correctly, the installation should not require any extra relays.Hopefully this is helpful.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Bus Geek

if you still are having trouble, get a digital volt meter. Don't do this with an analog meter.

make sure the keyless entry system has been programmed for 3.5 second mode.

You can disconnect the remote keyless from the door motor for this test, but the rest of the wires should still be connected as indicated in the wiring diagram for type C locks.

connect red lead from volt meter to blue/black

connect black lead from volt meter to green/black

Voltage should be near 0.0 volts.

Push the lock button on remote. Note the voltage on the meter is hopefully nominally 12 volts for approximately 3.5 seconds. (11.5 volts - 13.6 volts is ok for this test)

Push the unlock button on remote. Note the voltage is now hopefully minus 12 volts for 3.5 seconds. You might have to look carefully to see the minus (-) sign. To make sure you meter has the minus sign, try connecting the meter to the battery terminals with reverse polarity, ie: red wire to negative battery post and black wire to positive battery post.

If the 12 volt - and 12 volt + are reversed in the test, this is fine.

If you cannot get the keyless entry system to do this, make sure you go back and double check that it is wired according to the diagram. Also, double check the system is in 3.5 second mode. Alternatively, you could do this test with only a test light or a 12 volt incandescent light bulb if you do not have a volt meter. Do not use an LED bulb as this complicates things.....

If it does do exactly as described above, simply connect the blue/black and green/black wires to the appropriate wires on the back of the door switch.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Cool,glad you got it worked out.
Have you done anything else to your party wagon?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote