Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2021, 10:19 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

It's good to hear some people go fast enough in their bus. Seems like a lot of folks who post on forums brag about going slow and being safe. I've been down the road enough to know that semi trucks go 70 to 75 all the time on flat interstate in the right traffic conditions. Also the diesel motorhomes, like coaches, super C and Even large fifth wheel trailers being towed by <10 year old pickup trucks are going 70ish.

Ultimately I may not like the fuel mileage numbers or feel safe going that fast. But it will be nice to know that in traffic I could keep pace with the slow lane if I felt that was safest.

Right now in a flimsy gas RV...
It just feels less than safe when I'm getting blown around and passed and cut off because I'm struggling to manage 60 mph on flat and 65 is the limit before it feels like the wheels want to fall off.

And it's nice to hear that the cheaper make at the used school bus dealer is a great conversion platform.

rgjarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:07 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgjarrell View Post
It's good to hear some people go fast enough in their bus. Seems like a lot of folks who post on forums brag about going slow and being safe. I've been down the road enough to know that semi trucks go 70 to 75 all the time on flat interstate in the right traffic conditions. Also the diesel motorhomes, like coaches, super C and Even large fifth wheel trailers being towed by <10 year old pickup trucks are going 70ish.

Ultimately I may not like the fuel mileage numbers or feel safe going that fast. But it will be nice to know that in traffic I could keep pace with the slow lane if I felt that was safest.

Right now in a flimsy gas RV...
It just feels less than safe when I'm getting blown around and passed and cut off because I'm struggling to manage 60 mph on flat and 65 is the limit before it feels like the wheels want to fall off.

And it's nice to hear that the cheaper make at the used school bus dealer is a great conversion platform.
When I bought my bus in Butte Montana, they told me it would do 70mph all day long. I said I would find out shortly. Pulled to the end of town, filled the tank, got on the highway, realized I had a working cruise control, set it to 85mph, and burned a 60 gallon at that. 7mpg at that speed, expensive
Old 03-28-2021, 02:52 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Nope not gonna drive fast, I ruined road trips for years by making the scenery a blurr and hauling ass now I take my time

Every bus is different, they all have their sweet spot to run. Some are 55 others are 75, driving it faster will just result in stress on the drivetrain , heat, and high fuel usage
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I drive a cut-away, a clown bus (long body, short wheelbase) and full size conventional and flat nose buses at work. I've driven them all on the freeway.

Everyone of them get affected by trucks zooming by. In really windy conditions, the same thing. A big ol' wall for the air to push on.

If a bus can "safely" go 70 (no front end wobble, great breaks, plenty of maneuvering room (40' bus, 70mph, fast lane change or full on breaks) then go for it. Anything not in those parameters, save gas, wear and tear and enjoy the scenery.

Car vs Semi - https://trucksmart.udot.utah.gov/mot...ing-distances/ (semi 65mph - 525')

Class A Motor Home 40' - 50') - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/25559171.cfm (65mph - 600', probably because they have less rubber on the road and less overall breaking)

This all assumes perfect road and driver conditions.

Just saying.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
heck the SEMis often get affecxted by the bus when they pass.. more than once the semi gets sucked closer to me as they pass by , but really if peoiple are going to haul ass they need to look at the limitations of the tires also.. i have seen tires rated from 70 to 85.. so check the manufacturer for the maximum speed of the tires...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

It's nice to know you can go faster but keep it safe.

I imagine a comfortable 65 mph means the vehicle could do a sketchy 75 mph or a white knuckle 80.

I could probably do 100 mph all day in a v6 Accord sedan. It's very illegal, but certainly going 75-80 in a car feels really in control.

As it is, my current class c gasser is sketchy at 65 mph. And it loves to down shift and scream RPMs when I don't want it to.

So I don't have to go faster. But I definitely want to know there's a little more capability than my normal operating speeds. Either for towing, hills, or a little more speed in the right stretches of road.

With the wind at your back on I 70 in eastern Colorado or Kansas, it's a lot different than curvy roads in west Virginia or up and down the Appalachian range.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:10 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Doesn`t the 05 C7 have all the emission stuff that you should avoid? I guess I'm still waffling over newer engine taken care of with lower miles vs older mechanical engine and more miles. Maybe it's not as simple as I'd like it to be.
prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

I don't think those have emissions. Caterpillar stopped making motors for on road around that time. Presumably due to emissions.

2006 is the engine switch. So this is missing some of the emissions, but the c7 was designed for emissions.

Edited for acknowledgment that there's different emissions requirements. I don't think they implemented DEF yet on 2005.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:17 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84
I'm looking at buying a 2006 Thomas with a C7. The sales rep at the dealer (Taylor Bus Sales) tells me (for whatever it's worth) that the DPFs weren't added until the 2008 yr model.
tomrasdf is offline   Reply With Quote