Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2020, 05:08 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Airforce I would expect it to be white or blue not yellow. But just my 2 cents

Geeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:51 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeze View Post
Airforce I would expect it to be white or blue not yellow. But just my 2 cents
This is the military bus I mentionedClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200506-160740.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	44337
DrTwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Update. The dark blue bus mentioned above was gorgeous, we saw it Sunday. Looked brand new, no rust and mileage and engine hours made sense. Problem was it's a hair under 25ft long from bumper to bumper and the wheel wells would have put our bathroom to far forwards. If anyone wants this bus send me a message it'll do someone very well.

Our floorplan requires minimum of 29 feet, with 30-31ft being ideal.

So back to the rusty yellow bus above. It's the length, engine, ceiling height, and transmission that we want. And it's price is much better than the blue bus. But it's obviously got rust.

Besides the obvious answer of "none", how much rust is acceptable on a 2002 bus. Would anyone even consider trying to salvage this? Here's pics of the frame underside.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200511_132432_01.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	44372Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200511_132429_01.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	44373
Old 05-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTwitch View Post
Update. The dark blue bus mentioned above was gorgeous, we saw it Sunday. Looked brand new, no rust and mileage and engine hours made sense. Problem was it's a hair under 25ft long from bumper to bumper and the wheel wells would have put our bathroom to far forwards. If anyone wants this bus send me a message it'll do someone very well.

So back to the rusty yellow bus above. It's the length, engine, ceiling height, and transmission that we want. And it's price is much better than the blue bus. But it's obviously got rust.

Besides the obvious answer of "none", how much rust is acceptable on a 2002 bus. Would anyone even consider trying to salvage this? Here's pics of the frame underside.Attachment 44372Attachment 44373
The stuff in the pic you can scrape, ospho and paint. Nothing too technically difficult, it will just be a pain in the ass to do it underneath your bus. The real work is going to be repairing the rusted-out flooring around your wheel wells and at the base of the rear wall (and possibly/probably elsewhere on the floor as well).

I still wouldn't get the yellow bus and would instead keep looking. There are lots of buses out there and it's likely to become a total buyer's market once people understand that (most likely) schools will not be fully reopening any time soon, so the demand for school buses is going to plummet.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTwitch View Post

Besides the obvious answer of "none", how much rust is acceptable on a 2002 bus. Would anyone even consider trying to salvage this? Here's pics of the frame underside.Attachment 44372Attachment 44373

Those two shots do not show any excessive rust. Sure, it may be something you would want to address if you are to keep it for a while. The same rust identified earlier still exists though.

How much time do you want to spend on rust remediation?

Do you have the skills to do that remediation?

Are you thinking you would like a project to learn those skills?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Those two shots do not show any excessive rust. Sure, it may be something you would want to address if you are to keep it for a while. The same rust identified earlier still exists though.

How much time do you want to spend on rust remediation?

Do you have the skills to do that remediation?

Are you thinking you would like a project to learn those skills?
Nah I don't think I want that extra level of spicy on this project. I'll keep looking. Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Old 05-14-2020, 12:08 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Did you buy it? Someone told me that Air Force buses have high ceilings. That what I need. Is it true?
How much is a factory roof raise worth to you?
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:52 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

It was a 76 inch ceiling. Beautiful bus. PM me for his number if you're interested
Old 05-17-2020, 02:34 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
The area around the battery box is heavily rusted.

I the rear above the door is another batch of rust and the driver side corner in the rear has been in some sort of incident and shows body damage.

You may do well to offer less than the asking price.

Eagle eyes
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins 5.9, flat floor, no wheel wells, thomas