Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2023, 07:43 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Options For Relocating These Lines

Hey everyone,

The owner before me said these were the heater hoses and he looped them in the front. I’ve seen some discussion about doing that and I’ve also heard people call them coolant lines. Are those the same thing? There’s no rear heater anymore (not sure if there ever was). 1991 Flat Nose Puller Blue Bird Cummins

Regardless, I’m curious what my options are for getting these out of the cab? I’d love to have my subfloor run all the way to the front but I am very hesitant to screw with any engine related pieces. All input appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
A695400F-AE69-4D13-AA47-F1537128430C.jpg   0B550CDE-F5FD-4675-8423-3B8179748E51.jpg  

Nick5272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:06 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hi Nick,

You'll find lots of options, but this is how I like to do it and you might find the video helpful:

https://youtu.be/gA30MFK0r-o
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:37 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Trust Ross.

The previous owner removed the heater and added that loop so coolant can flow. You'll easily and safely be able to get rid of all that plumbing.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:24 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Hey Ross! I’d actually already watched that video you linked prior to reading your comment. It was helpful but it also seemed a bit above my pay grade. You were working on a dog nose and mine is a flat nose with a dog house. I’m not sure how to translate what you did to my bus
Nick5272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:37 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick5272 View Post
You were working on a dog nose and mine is a flat nose with a dog house. I’m not sure how to translate what you did to my bus
Your engine will have similar lines coming off it and running to the back. But there will be two differences for you.

1) Access will be more difficult, since those lines come from nipples (often with a valve on one, or both, ends of the loop) and the nipples are mounted part way down the block. In other words, when you look down inside the dog house you'll see the top of the engine and the valve cover. You will either need to dig down on the side away from the exhaust manifold...or you'll need to crawl underneath and look from the bottom.

2) Your lines probably run straight back and may not have the handy elbows that the conventional bus in my video had, so you may need to get a coupler to join the lines. Even better, if you can get to them, you can remove the nipples I mentioned above and put in plugs. But that's more involved. Creating a loop under your bus is better than having the lines running back inside your bus.

Take a look at what you find and post pics. We'll help you out.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:05 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Follow ross's guidance.

Stick your head under the bus around where those elbows are at. You should be able to put your loop there under the floor.

Do it when the engine is cold. Turning the valves off at the engine will reduce the coolant spilled. It will still be messy, on you and the ground, so try and catch it with a kiddy pool or 5 gallon bucket.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:13 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Coachwork: 1980 Gillig, 1990 Thomas
Chassis: Transit Coach
Engine: Cummins 855 w/RT-910 & CAT 3208 w/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 78-Passenger
I had a pair of lines for the heater that ran from the front of the bus to the rear of the bus.
The lines for the heater sourced from a “T” in each of those lines.
I was able to remove the lines to the heater and cap them at the “T”.

Cruising in your Skoolie is only half the fun...
You get to build it first.
IDoMy0wnRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, coolant line, heater hose, hoses