Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 03:04 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Could you do up a diagram of this like mine? I've seen pictures of parts of the Thomas chair rails but I can't really conceptualize how that structure works. It certainly sounds better and stronger than the International arrangement, which doesn't really have anything for allowing the cavity between the chair rail and the outer skin to drain (other than by overflowing which I think was literally the case in my bus).

To do the drawing justice (and this site as well), I will have to refresh my understanding by looking at the chair rail around the wheel wells. At present, the back of the bus is fully loaded up in preparation for taking another load to Florida. So this will have to wait.

After I send this post, I will look through the pictures I have on this tablet and see if any show it in enough detail. I'll post in the event that they show anything useful.

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:42 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBüs View Post
What's the Vermont process? Never heard this term in three bus community. Google shows a way to register your bus through Vermont without living there, but it also says you can do so with zero work into your bus. So I'm not sure that's what you're talking about or not.
Vermont is a state that will allow you to register your vehicle with your home address in whatever state. Just pay the fees. Takes about a month to get plates. They have no problems with registering your privately owned bus or classifying as RV. On my second year with a Vermont tag in New Mexico, which is a state that will not register a school bus for personal use unless it has been converted to an RV. They dont have a clearly defined procedure to accomplish said requirement and all things being bureaucratic it was much simpler to go the Vermont route.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:05 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
To do the drawing justice (and this site as well), I will have to refresh my understanding by looking at the chair rail around the wheel wells. At present, the back of the bus is fully loaded up in preparation for taking another load to Florida. So this will have to wait.

After I send this post, I will look through the pictures I have on this tablet and see if any show it in enough detail. I'll post in the event that they show anything useful.

Okay, here is a cross sectional view of the passenger rear corner looking forward from the bumper. This photo was taken when I was performing rust remediation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_002049 Passenger Rear Corner Cross Section.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	50398

In the top right of the image, you can see the chair rail curling under (I call this the "foot"). I cut off the "foot" to make the repairs. The chair rail wall appears to turn back down 90 degrees from the floor, along the end of the floor and back UNDER the floor about two inches. So the chair rail holds the flooring on top AND bottom. You can just make out two spot welds welds along the floor where I cut out the chair rail "foot". The floor is also welded to the chair rail on the underside where the pieces of flooring sections form the I-beam. There are also welds where the floor meets the curved "foot" of the chair rail all along the side the length of the floor (on the inside). These spot welds are more like short seam welds of one inch to two inches.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Vermont is a state that will allow you to register your vehicle with your home address in whatever state. Just pay the fees. Takes about a month to get plates. They have no problems with registering your privately owned bus or classifying as RV. On my second year with a Vermont tag in New Mexico, which is a state that will not register a school bus for personal use unless it has been converted to an RV. They dont have a clearly defined procedure to accomplish said requirement and all things being bureaucratic it was much simpler to go the Vermont route.
Will NM allow you to transfer the title to NM from VT as an RV? I live in NV and am thinking of getting my bus titled as an RV in VT but would ultimately like to transfer the title to NV. NV will allow you to convert a bus to an RV for title purposes but one of the requirements is a black tank and I am going to use a composting toilet so don't need a black tank.
Meandering Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote