Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International (Navistar)
Chassis: 37' FE Flatnose 3800FC
Engine: 7.6L DT466 with Allison MD 3060
OSB Use

I've always been under the impression that OSB is not good, because it will deteriorate when it gets wet. However, I've been reading some of the conversion threads and see where alot of people are using it for their sub floors, walls, and cabinets.

Yea or nay? If nay, why are people using it and if yea how are they protecting it from water damage?

Also has anyone tried just torching a plywood subfloor and then coating it with lots of floor polyurethane to protect it?

Maggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie01 View Post
I've always been under the impression that OSB is not good, because it will deteriorate when it gets wet. However, I've been reading some of the conversion threads and see where alot of people are using it for their sub floors, walls, and cabinets.

Yea or nay? If nay, why are people using it and if yea how are they protecting it from water damage?

Also has anyone tried just torching a plywood subfloor and then coating it with lots of floor polyurethane to protect it?
Ours came with a OSB subfloor, but if I had a choice I'd go with plywood. The cost is negligible, and OSB doesn't stand up to moisture very well. We painted ours in case any liquid gets past the laminate flooring on top. Not sure how much the paint will help, but it's better than nothing. I've heard of people using Drylock paint on both plywood and OSB to protect from moisture and it seems like it would work.
I've seen plywood torched and polyurethaned and it can have a nice finished look to it.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
OSB doesn't really deteriorate when it gets wet - it's more that it will deteriorate (rot) if it stays wet for a prolonged period of time (just like plywood). The difference between OSB and plywood is that if they get wet, plywood will dry out faster than OSB in high-humidity conditions (they both dry out equally fast in arid conditions); also if OSB gets wet even once, its capacity to dry out is permanently lowered (whereas plywood is mostly back to normal once it dries out).

Price-wise, 23/32 OSB T&G is $23.28 per sheet at Lowe's; the same in plywood is $39.28. The price difference is small enough that I'd go with plywood. For my bus I'd need seven sheets for the floor so that would only be an extra $100. "Luckily" I found some cheap plywood salvaged from juice concentrate crates for my floor, cost me about $90 total.