Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas MVP
Engine: Cat 3126B
Rated Cap: 20800
Ospho Question

I have looked through a lot of threads on using Ospho but I haven't found the answer to my particular question. Background - I want to do the Ospho treatment before dealing with all of the holes in the floor from seats, plywood nails etc. because I want the edges of the holes themselves to get the treatment. The question is this, as the Ospho drips down through all of the tons of holes and drips on wiring, fuel lines, air hoses, AC lines and so forth is it going to created problems under there?
Any input would be appreciated.

Dizzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
I osphoed twice and painted two coats before sealing any holes. That was almost a year ago and haven't had any problems with it.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #3

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International 4700 LP
Chassis: 4700
Engine: 1998 International DT530 300hp
I am a retired maritime seamen and we used ospho on the ships to eat rust. ospho will eat through most materials like rubber and clothing and skin so be careful . it doesn't eat through most metals
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
I'm wondering how Ospho would work on the innards of our radiators and heaters to loosen crud buildups? Remove any and all blockages, save removing rads, heaters etc.

Any thoughts?

John
Old 11-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
I'm wondering how Ospho would work on the innards of our radiators and heaters to loosen crud buildups? Remove any and all blockages, save removing rads, heaters etc.

Any thoughts?

John

Since you ask for thoughts,....no, I would not use ospho in a radiator. I think ospho is as the name would indicate, phosphoric acid. It is a rust converter, not remover. In other words, it will react with rust to form something more solid and seal it off.

There used to be a great 2 part product called #7 from Dupont. It was a fantastic product. I used it many times when it was available. It was a crystal form of an acid that I do not recall what type. And once the acid treatment was done, you had to neutralize it with the second product that came with the container.
Since we cant get it anymore, i have had actual reasonable luck with white vinegar. So far as I know or have been told, it does not need to be neutralized, just flush out of the system well. It is a mild acid that is very easily diluted and carried with water. The last vinegar flush I did was in a 74' chevy farm truck that would over heat as the inside of the radiator was built up with well water deposits. I removed the radiator and filled it with white vinegar. Let sit for a few hours, then agitate a bit by lifting the radiator side to side and let sit till the end of the day. Drained it, flushed it with clean water and reinstalled it the next morning. Filled with purchased distilled water and antifreeze. It solved the over heating issue and is still going strong today.

Your results may vary of course.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Yes my results with white vinagar are it cleaned the radiator so good it leaks now. Top of the core in many places. If the radiator is in good shape should be no problem though.

I did not remove the radiator, did drive it though, to circulate it. Then drained and flushed. Really did clean a lot of crude out.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Yes my results with white vinagar are it cleaned the radiator so good it leaks now. Top of the core in many places. If the radiator is in good shape should be no problem though.

I did not remove the radiator, did drive it though, to circulate it. Then drained and flushed. Really did clean a lot of crude out.
Im sorry but thats funny.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Yea kind of funny, but going to cost me a few bucks......
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Yea kind of funny, but going to cost me a few bucks......
Fix it now, and it may save you down the road..can it be brazed? Thats way cheaper than a new radiator.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Sorry to hear that Ronnie. Hope it's an easy fix. Better to find out what you got now though. Will give you more confidence when repaired knowing it's tight again and pressure holds up.
Surprising the strength of vinegar though. French fries and rusty bolts are for vinegar I guess, or my two uses. Never did a rad though. Maybe you let it work too long before flushing it out?

Not having any real chemistry background all comments are appreciated.
Maybe a quick flush Ospho flush would help, give better flow and clean out with a quick flush after sitting "X" minutes or hours without doing damage?

John