Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2023, 09:39 AM   #1

Our first breakdown

The wife and I stopped by walmart to pick-up some food and as we were leaving the parking lot, our 2007 International with a DT466E, the engine suddenly shut off and would not restart. The engine light is on. It was running fantastic before this happened, so I'm hoping it's an electrical issue like a relay or something. We had it towed to ITA in New Orleans. Hopefully, they can look at it today.

BTW, we do have Good Sam for insurance, but we were told they don't offer roadside assistance for Skoolies.
We would like to keep them, but need to find a company that may provide just roadside only. I think we may have to switch insurance companies to get it, IDK. It cost us $600 for the tow.

Oh, and the tow company let us ride in our bus as they towed us. That was an adventure. Haha

Anyways, I hope everyone is having a great day.
Attached Thumbnails
20230321_180012.jpg   20230321_174817.jpg  

Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
they let you ride in the bus? thats about ILLEGAL AS HELL...

did you try pressing the diagnostics button to see what the code was when the engine light was on?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:04 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I had the Good Sam premium service for 3 years and never needed them...thank goodness, because I found out they wouldn't have covered me. I can HIGHLY recommend Coach-Net.com and I recently had an experience with them that was just fantastic.

Good luck with your fixes!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

did you try pressing the diagnostics button to see what the code was when the engine light was on?

Yes they did. Lol. Diagnostic button? Where is that?
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:17 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
For roadside assistance, I purchased coach net as I've heard nothing but good reviews. $300 or so for a year is still cheaper than a single tow.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:02 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
The wife and I stopped by walmart to pick-up some food and as we were leaving the parking lot, our 2007 International with a DT466E, the engine suddenly shut off and would not restart. The engine light is on. It was running fantastic before this happened, so I'm hoping it's an electrical issue like a relay or something. We had it towed to ITA in New Orleans. Hopefully, they can look at it today.

BTW, we do have Good Sam for insurance, but we were told they don't offer roadside assistance for Skoolies.
We would like to keep them, but need to find a company that may provide just roadside only. I think we may have to switch insurance companies to get it, IDK. It cost us $600 for the tow.

Oh, and the tow company let us ride in our bus as they towed us. That was an adventure. Haha

Anyways, I hope everyone is having a great day.
I just competed a 1400 mile ride from South Florida to central Texas towing my Chrysler Sebring behind the bus, right after a fresh in-frame rebuild. Only had 50 miles on the engine when I departed.

When i got here, after about 3 days I went to start the bus and it would not start!

I noticed some oil on the hitch and wiring and that lead me to start looking for an oil leak. did not find one!

check the oil and it was super low. I put in one gallon and a half of fresh oil and she started right up!

Guess there wasn't enough oil to make it to the HPOP reservoir ?

Glad it was an easy fix but I still got to find out why it even lost that amount of oil to begin with! I am hoping this event was just part of the break-in of the new motor/rebuild.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:04 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
I just competed a 1400 mile ride from South Florida to central Texas. towing my chrysler behind the bus, right after a frsh in-frame rebuild.

When i got here, after about 3 days I went to start the bus and it would not start!

I noticed some oil on the hitch and wiring and that lead me to start looking for an oil leak. did not find one!

check the oil and it was super low. I put in one gallon and a half of fresh oil and she started right up!

Guess there wasn't enough oil to make it to the HPOP reservoir ?

Glad it was an easy fix but I still got to find out why it even lost that amount of oil to begin with!
An oil leak like that in the detroit diesel world seems like normal operation…not so much for a DT466!
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:12 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
We would like to keep them, but need to find a company that may provide just roadside only.
I have AAA RV for roadside assistance. They have the actual details of the bus.... BUT I've never had to use it and have heard horror stories about them refusing to tow once they actually realize its a bus and not a conventional RV despite them having it in their records.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:47 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

Hahaha. They say things are different down here. [emoji23]

Hay Freeze. I’m local and retired. DM me if I can help. Even if you just need campground or boondocking advice.

[emoji3522]Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:59 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
A great reason for [I]daily[I] pre-trip inspections, for sure.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakdown