Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Over the cab sleeping?

If you have a conventional style bus with a significantly raised roof, would it be feasible to extend the roof out over the engine and put a bed in there?

I've noticed that conventional style buses are more common and often cheaper than the flat front ones, and I've read that the engine is a lot easier to work on (compared to flat nose front engine buses). However, the interior space is a lot more limited. Assuming that the roof is being raised a lot, say 2 feet, could we take a cue from the class C motorhomes and put a bed up over the driver and engine? It looks to me like you have at least 1 foot of space above the windshield before raising the roof, which would make for 3 feet of space with a 2-foot roof raise. 3 feet should be adequate for a loft bunk, right?

I guess the toughest part is that you'd have to build a frame extending over the engine. I'd think that this is no big deal for someone who is already raising the roof though. I'd also wonder if it makes it hard to see stoplights if you're near the front of the line.

Another thing to watch for is that there is sufficient clearance for the hood to swing open. I'm not sure how high the hood reaches while opening it. Does it need clearance any higher than the top of the windshield?

Anomalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Re: Over the cab sleeping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
What about bumping the roof up in another area to add a bunk?
I guess I was thinking that using the space above the driver and hood would free up floor space for something else that needs to be full height. More standing room, as opposed to sitting/sleeping areas.

It sounds like this would be a pretty foolish idea, overall. I certainly don't have the fabrication skills to do something like this; just dreaming about what might be possible.
Anomalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

how much skill would it take? If you have the ability (or a buddy with the ability) to raise the roof, then you can extend the overhead. Maybe just add a couple feet and split the sleeper space over the windshield and driver. You also might have a really convenient spot for welding a support up front somewhere.
skojolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Anomalous, everything you say makes sense to me. You are cleared to proceed.

Check your sight lines and other concerns before you cut anything.

I'd certainly do it if I had a conventional.

For the framework, use steel and be sure to triangulate the sides -- all the strength will be in the diagonals.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Visibility will suck if you go out too far, the idea of keeping the front overhang minimal and putting the bunk halfway over the driver compartment is a good one, assuming you're raising the roof high enough for it.
Overall, I wouldn't do it. If you ever need to pull the motor, you'll have issues, and it's just my opinion but the ugly factor will rise exponentially.
Joe Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote