Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
my t444e has a electric clutch, comes on at 211 shuts of 204, its a called a Horton clutch, if you have the same you can unplug it and run 12volts to 1 wire, and ground the other, you will here the magnet snap and hold against the fan pulley, you wont be able to turn the fan by hand, take the power off the and the fan will free will, this will let you know the fan clutch is ok, and you may have a bad sensor or broken wire, I have a broken wire somewhere in my harness, and have been using a switch to turn my fan on and off.
my bus is 1999 t444e
gbstewart

Old 07-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
my t444e has a electric clutch, comes on at 211 shuts of 204, its a called a Horton clutch, if you have the same you can unplug it and run 12volts to 1 wire, and ground the other, you will here the magnet snap and hold against the fan pulley, you wont be able to turn the fan by hand, take the power off the and the fan will free will, this will let you know the fan clutch is ok, and you may have a bad sensor or broken wire, I have a broken wire somewhere in my harness, and have been using a switch to turn my fan on and off.
my bus is 1999 t444e
gbstewart
thats an air electric horton... not all busses with the same engines have them... electric air fan clutchers were an option on most chassis.. the later the bus the more likely it is to have an air electric clutch standard...

depending on how the current fan is driven it may be possible to retrofit but its not cheap...

as for cooling a bus with an electric fan.. good luck.. the belt driven fans fully engage are somewhere in the 10000 CFM range from my calculations..

im not sure why the shop is charging the OP so much for a fan clutch even with labor... it took me an hour tops to put mine on...

the service book said I needed to remove cross-bars, coolan t hoses, etc to get the fan and clutch out...

I never took the fan out I separated the 2 on the bus and then just popped the clutch out...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
thats an air electric horton... not all busses with the same engines have them... electric air fan clutchers were an option on most chassis.. the later the bus the more likely it is to have an air electric clutch standard...

depending on how the current fan is driven it may be possible to retrofit but its not cheap...

as for cooling a bus with an electric fan.. good luck.. the belt driven fans fully engage are somewhere in the 10000 CFM range from my calculations..

im not sure why the shop is charging the OP so much for a fan clutch even with labor... it took me an hour tops to put mine on...

the service book said I needed to remove cross-bars, coolan t hoses, etc to get the fan and clutch out...

I never took the fan out I separated the 2 on the bus and then just popped the clutch out...

-Christopher
do you have a Horton?, and if so where is the sensor that turns the clutch on? the Horton site was a bit helpful, but still not sure where it is, tks
gbstewart
Old 07-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #24
Bus Geek

mine is a mechanical Viscous.. my service books talk about hortons (from 1990 / 1991).. but the T444E doesnt exist in my books.. I dont know if on an ECM controlled bus the fan clutch uses a separate inut sensor or is controlled by the computer..

in the early versions there was a sensor (2 wires) located on the radiator or near the water neck of the engine depending on the engine... again old stuff.. you will have a coolant temp sensor near the water neck thats for the dash gauge and computer.. you may find a separate one for the fan near there too...

-Christopher
Old 07-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
mine is a mechanical Viscous.. my service books talk about hortons (from 1990 / 1991).. but the T444E doesnt exist in my books.. I dont know if on an ECM controlled bus the fan clutch uses a separate inut sensor or is controlled by the computer..

in the early versions there was a sensor (2 wires) located on the radiator or near the water neck of the engine depending on the engine... again old stuff.. you will have a coolant temp sensor near the water neck thats for the dash gauge and computer.. you may find a separate one for the fan near there too...

-Christopher
found my problem, a wire was slightly broken at the top of a connector to what I think is the temp sensor, I cut out the connector and replace it with a new one, when out for a drive, all is well, fan works like it should , no more using the manual switch
gbstewart
Old 07-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Nice! Glad to hear. Thanks for sharing the success.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #27
Bus Geek

ciongrats on the fix!! always feels great to make something.. even a little thing work good on our busses again!
-Christopher
Old 08-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 8.3 L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Check the clutch fan with a rolled up newspaper. See if it stops turning
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote